This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Individualising a source

Apologies if this has been covered before as I can't find anything. I have a book that I'm referencing from different pages. I want to include the page number in the source, but don't wait to create 20 different sources, each with a different page number.

Is there a way to create the source once, then add the individual page numbers as required? IE. only have page 20 show up on the relevant info, only have page 26 show up etc? Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance

Re: Individualising a source

Hi Rae -

I am not sure if this will answer your question fully, but you can create the source once and then at each citation there is a detail field and you can enter the page number there.

Comment

Thanks, I found where I can add the page number, but (for example) if I print out a person sheet, it only shows the source but not the page number (detail). How do I get that to show up? Hopefully this screen shot shows what I mean
      Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Rae;40333]

Comment

I don't want to do it, because I'm copying information from every page of this book. Every person in it is in my family tree and the book is 237 pages. Sometimes I'm typing the stories in the notes section as well, and the story might go over a couple of pages, so it's potentially creating 300 sources for one book. Seems a bit OTT to me.

It's easy to duplicate the source sure, but to find it again and repeat the source elsewhere, I'd have to look through hundreds of almost identical sources to ensure I have the one with the right page number.

Comment

So you're not scanning, but typing it all out again? That does sound like hard work!

Perhaps I misunderstand the difficulty you foresee, but when sources differ only as to the final number, it is very easy to find a particular number, or the nearest one. See the attached extract from my list of sources.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rae View Post
              Thanks, I found where I can add the page number, but (for example) if I print out a person sheet, it only shows the source but not the page number (detail). How do I get that to show up? Hopefully this screen shot shows what I mean
              Check your Report Preferences > Sources. Do you have your "Citation detail:" set as "With Endnotes"? When you do, you will get the following. Note that the first three sources are the same but have different details.

Hope this helps.
              Attached Files
              Kaye Mushalik
              -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
              -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
              -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
              X