This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Adding Grandparents of First Cousins

I have a set of grandparents who were first cousins. I cannot figure out how to get Reunion 10 to take the common grandparents for each. I can only enter the grandparents for one ancestor, but not the other. How does one do this? Is it possible? Have I even explained it well enough to understand? Help!

Re: Help Adding Grandparents of First Cousins

I, also, have grandparents that are 1st cousins.

The second time you add, you will need to 'Add father/mother from sidebar' for whichever parent of yours you need to add instead of just adding as a new parent.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Thank you. I have tried doing that, but have been unsuccessful. I will try again.

Comment

I have tried again, and the program will not accept the common parents from the sidebar. I even started a new file, thinking I needed to add the brother and sister first, but this doesn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Betsy View Post
          I have tried again, and the program will not accept the common parents
          I think this is my problem also. I have my fathers Curlin ancestors back several generations.
          I started trying to find my Grandmother's line and find that my Ggrandfather had a sister Elizabeth Sophia Curlin as well as my grandfather James Amos. my grandmother Sophia Curlin is the only child of the second marriage of Elizabeth Sophia Curlin to one Samuel McClish The first marriage produced a number of children named Newton. I can't seem to get them connected to my GGgrandparents who all follow the Curlins. I'm not sure how to get them to all connect Any thoughts or questions would be appreciated.
          Delbert Curlin
          Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
          Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Hi,

I find the easiest way to combine the lines is adding an existing person as a child on a family card.

If the common family is, for example, Joe and Sarah as parents of John and his sister Betty then extend John so he appears as a son on the family card for Joe and Sarah. Now, while still on Joe and Sarah's family card, locate Betty in the People sidebar and simply drag her to the child pane of the family card. Reunion will ask you to confirm that you want to add Betty as a child of Joe and Sarah.

There is no need to use the "add female child from the sidebar" popup. Remember to simply drag Betty; if you click once to select you will only jump to her card.

Alan
            Last edited by A Ginn; 26 January 2014, 09:08 AM. Reason: Misread set as sets; too early in the morning :-)

Comment

Originally posted by A Ginn View Post
              Hi,

I find the easiest way to combine the lines is adding an existing person as a child on a family card.

There is no need to use the "add female child from the sidebar" popup. Remember to simply drag Betty; if you click once to select you will only jump to her card.

Alan
              Thanks Alan I finally got around to planning your suggestion out and it works fine. I now have gg grandparents who are parents of both of my g grandparents I think. Anway they are in family sets and I can find them.
              Delbert Curlin

Comment

Hi Delbert,

I'm glad it worked out for you. My recent work with families from the middle ages has given me a lot of practice with interconnected lines. Once you are comfortable with the technique you can use it to link existing people as parents and spouses, also.

For parents just drag a person from the sidebar to the appropriate parent button. If that person had multiple spouses you will be asked to choose which family. Both parents will be linked.

For spouses it is a little trickier. For example, the first time you add a wife drag the person from the sidebar to the wife button. To add another wife to that same husband, drag the person from the sidebar to the husband button. Dragging one wife over another is for merging or partnering the two women.

Alan

Comment

Hi Delbert,

I'm glad it worked out for you. My recent work with families from the middle ages has given me a lot of practice with interconnected lines. Once you are comfortable with the technique you can use it to link existing people as parents and spouses, also.

Alan
                  Thanks Alan, I believe I may have others back in the 16th- 17th century where intermarriage within families seem to have been common. I guess because there weren't close families in some of the hinterlands of what is now Germany and France and England unless they were Royalty; which mine definitely are not.
                  Delbert Curlin

Comment

Hi,

I find the easiest way to combine the lines is adding an existing person as a child on a family card..........
                    Just a terminology issue here because I'm sure that you know that this is not combining lines ---- rather it is the creation of a third line -- another branch --- except for the uncommon situation where the two first cousins are both an only child.

And it can get more complicated. I have a couple whose shared ancestor is a single great for him and a two great for her. This makes her his first cousin while she is his second cousin. In age, he is only four years older. Neither are only children so their six offspring are a new branch.
                    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                      Just a terminology issue here because I'm sure that you know that this is not combining lines ---- rather it is the creation of a third line -- another branch --- except for the uncommon situation where the two first cousins are both an only child.

And it can get more complicated. I have a couple whose shared ancestor is a single great for him and a two great for her. This makes her his first cousin while she is his second cousin. In age, he is only four years older. Neither are only children so their six offspring are a new branch.
                      Thanks Bob; I don't intend to pursue the new link of Newton orMcClish Line unless it becomes obvious from others that I need it as they both of my Grandmother and Grandfather have common ancestors of my GGgrandfather s family. I've been years just getting this and am not sure anyone in the family is interested anyway. I may look for my maternal line but the name White in West Tennesssee is as common as pebbles in the sea and were mostly sharecroppers in the cotton for over 75 years or so, moving yearly or more often.
                      Delbert Curlin

Comment

And my Whites came from England to Alberta, Canada, as Whytes circa 1875 then into Montana around 1900 and finally settled in the Seattle area circa 1910. Haven't found any in the South.
                        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                        X