This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copying multimedia files to another Mac

I've tried many ways of my own and suggestions on these threads to put my multimedia (photos, primarily) into Reunion 10 on another computer with Reunion 10. I have burned all my genealogy photos to disc and installed them into the other computer's iPhoto. I have exported the family file. (However, I have not selected "Copy multimedia files to a new folder" because I couldn't find info on what that might do to my own files.) Nothing I've done has allowed Reunion to "find" the photos. I can drag them into multimedia from iPhoto on that computer since they are now in its iPhoto, but I was hoping for a more efficient way. I have both checked and unchecked the "always search iPhoto box" to no avail. There is no "pictures" folder in my Reunion Files folder. Should I make one and copy all those photos to that? But will that make my own computer unable to find my pictures? I know it's a link thing, but I just can't overcome it! Thank you for any help!

Re: copying multimedia files to another Mac

Originally posted by bstanard View Post
    ...I have not selected "Copy multimedia files to a new folder" because I couldn't find info on what that might do to my own files...
    Copying multimedia files to a new folder will not affect the files on your current computer. The original files will still remain there. Reunion will locate all linked multimedia files and "copy" them to a separate folder. Afterward, you can transfer that folder to your other Mac.

...There is no "pictures" folder in my Reunion Files folder...
    There should be folder named "Reunion Pictures" in your Home/Pictures folder. Note: the Home folder can be accessed from within your Finder by choosing Go -> Home.

After transferring the pictures from your current Mac, try moving them into your Reunion Pictures folder.

I hope you find this helpful:-)
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you very much, Deb. I'll try letting Reunion copy the files to a new folder. However, I cannot currently find a "Reunion Pictures" folder in my Home/Pictures folder or anywhere else on my Mac. Is this something that Reunion 10 generates automatically, or do I need to do that? Is this the file that will be copied and sent to the other Mac? Many thanks!

Comment

I'll try letting Reunion copy the files to a new folder.
        Okay. I recommend saving that exported folder onto your desktop.

I cannot currently find a "Reunion Pictures" folder in my Home/Pictures folder or anywhere else on my Mac. Is this something that Reunion 10 generates automatically, or do I need to do that?
        Normally, Reunion 10 will put the "Reunion Pictures" folder into your Home/Pictures folder. However, if not, you may create a new folder inside of your Home/Pictures folder and call it "Reunion Pictures."

Is this the file that will be copied and sent to the other Mac?
        No. When you export your family file and include a separate folder for your multimedia items, Reunion will do the following...

1. Locate all linked multimedia items and copy them to a "Media" folder.

2. Export your family file.

3. Save both items in an "Export..." folder in the designated location.

That "Media" folder should be transferred to your other Mac and put into the Home/Pictures/Reunion Pictures folder on that Mac.

I hope you find this helpful in clarifying things:-)
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you, Deb. You've been very helpful!

Comment

Working...
          X