This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People with only one name

I'm using Reunion to create a chart of historical characters from the 6th and 7th centuries (there are nearly 500 names in the chart).

No one in those days had a 'second' name. People had names like Fergus mac Donall, or
    Karl Craig
    Brisbane, Australia

Re: People with only one name

[QUOTE=Karl Craig;39892]...No one in those days had a 'second' name. People had names like Fergus mac Donall, or
    Byron Spoon

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Byron.

Yes, I've experimented with that, but it doesn't always produce the results I need.

My task is complicated by the need for a variety of suffixes which help to identify a particular person from dozens of others with similar names and titles. Someone can have a main name, an epithet, their father's name, and a title: e.g. Owein "Danwyn" map Einion, King of Rhos.

To search for this Owein (as opposed to, say, Owein map Urien, King of Rheged), I need to see all the 'Oweins' on the left in the People Sidebar, and then pick the one needed using the other identifying suffixes. However, using the fields as I have, I'm presented with a mighty list of 'maps', and I then need to pick 'Einion', and then 'Owein' (from all his brothers). This is quite difficult, particularly with names that were very popular (for instance, one family has a Eochaid Bude mac Aedan and an Eochaid Find mac Aedan),

At present, the best I can think of for this particular project is to have a 'first name' (e.g. Owein), leave the 'last name' blank, and put the epithet, father's name and title in the 'Suffix Title' field.

Some of the work I've done with this project can be seen on http://caelinschronicle.com

Many thanks, and a happy New Year.
      Karl Craig
      Brisbane, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Craig View Post
        Someone can have a main name, an epithet, their father's name, and a title: e.g. Owein "Danwyn" map Einion, King of Rhos.

To search for this Owein (as opposed to, say, Owein map Urien, King of Rheged), I need to see all the 'Oweins' on the left in the People Sidebar, and then pick the one needed using the other identifying suffixes.
        To find all the Oweins in the sidebar, type ", Owein" (without the quotation marks) in the search field.
        Attached Files
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks Dennis.

I can see you've got a wonderful Welsh bloodline with your 'ap Owains' (modern Welsh spelling).

Yes, that does work for me. It is still a bit messy to find particular individuals, but better than wading through hundreds of patronymics.

However, last night I discovered another method that does the trick. I noticed a symbol at the bottom of the sidebar (two orange rectangles): when I clicked that, up popped a "List" window, one separate from the main window. In this mode, I can arrange the columns in the order I like, have what data I want to show, and have the complete list sort by any column. Perfect!

I'm probably the only user who didn't know this! :-| I can sometimes be a bit slow. I should have read the manual, I suppose. Anyway, I can now work with that window open all the time, and it's also a great way to edit data.

Problem solved. Reunion is a great piece of software.
          Karl Craig
          Brisbane, Australia

Comment

Working...
          X