This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to show a Ward from another family

How do you show a child that becomes a ward? For instance a cousin takes the orphan child and raises it with the cousin's children, then the cousin's children become "the family" so to speak.
    I want to have a direct link on a family page that takes you to the benevolent "cousin."
    John

Re: How to show a Ward from another family

Originally posted by John Goodman View Post
    How do you show a child that becomes a ward? For instance a cousin takes the orphan child and raises it with the cousin's children, then the cousin's children become "the family" so to speak.
    I want to have a direct link on a family page that takes you to the benevolent "cousin."
    There are probably a few ways people do this.

I would enter the child in his/her biological family, then add him/her as a child in the family that raised him, so that there are two sets of parents. The "link" from one family to the other is to select the other set of parents from the person's pop-up menu (illustration attached).

I'd show his "child status" in the second family as "adopted" and an explanation in his/her misc. notes field.

If it's important to differentiate a formal adoption from a wardship, you could change the name of one of the child statuses to "ward" and use it.

When you calculate the child's relatives, Reunion will use the "preferred" set of parents (usually the biological parents); you can change which set of parents is preferred to see the other set of relationships.
    Attached Files
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

I use the "Foster" child status for children who are raised with a family other than their birth parents but not formally adopted.
      My Home Page: http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/

Comment

Originally posted by TeriPettit View Post
        I use the "Foster" child status for children who are raised with a family other than their birth parents but not formally adopted.
        A better choice, clearly; I had forgotten it existed (I sacrificed it for another child status I needed
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by John Goodman View Post
          John
          You can also add the child to a second set of parents as a "duplicate" child. (it's in the manual - I did it with a relative who ended up being raised by her half sister after their mother died.). There is a child status for Duplicate Child.

Comment

Working...
          X