This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading user defined Web Styles?

I have created several custom Web Styles in Reunion 9, using my own css sheets, my own shared colors, etc.

I could not find anything in the upgrading notes about whether custom web styles created for Reunion 9 can be just dropped into the Library/Application Support/Reunion/Web Styles folder (and appropriate subfolders) for Reunion 10 without modification, or if changes must be made to support new tags (or modified interpretations of old tags) that the Reunion 10 report generation expects to see.

Or do Reunion 9 and 10 just share the same Application Support folder?
    Last edited by TeriPettit; 02 December 2013, 11:05 AM.
    My Home Page: http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/

Re: Upgrading user defined Web Styles?

Bump.

No answer to this question?

I have purchased and downloaded Reunion 10, but I am afraid to actually update my database until I know whether or not it will require modifications to my web style sheets.

Comment

Hi Terri,

Reunion 9 Web Styles are not compatible with Reunion 10, though they both store their style information in:

~/Library/Application Support/Reunion/Web Styles/

We've separated the the web styles out into 3 settings (Color, Format and Font) and have added support for the Trees element in 10.

It is possible to use a Reunion 9 web style as a basis for a 10 style, but you'd need to take a look at some of the new colors/formats to get an idea of how the different CSS elements have been separated out and use that as guidance for building the 10 version of your 9 style.

Hope that helps,
      Last edited by Mark; 16 December 2013, 02:20 PM.
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Shucks. It took a lot of analysis going back and forth between the style sheets and the report output to figure out how all the Reunion 9 css tags are used and where they are defined. I don't relish having to repeat all that work, but I guess I'll do it.

I really wish the style sheet syntax were better documented. User definable custom style sheets, are, after all, listed as a system feature. Don't you have any documentation used by your own style sheet developers that could be made available to users?

Also, can you say whether the Trees can be attached to the other kinds of reports when you set the destination to Web Folder? (I am guessing the answer is "no", but it's worth asking.)

I base my web pages on the Family Group Sheet report instead of the "web cards", because I much prefer how the family group sheets pack a lot whole lot more data (e.g., marriage data for all children including spouse relationship tags) into one page, making it easy to see at a glance which of the children of a couple married various relatives of mine. The web card format requires too much clicking around to see the details.

A sample of my Reunion 9 web reports:

"Aventurine" style:

"Ecru" style:
        Last edited by TeriPettit; 24 December 2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

If Reunion 9 and Reunion 10 share the same Web Styles folder, how do they distinguish which style sheets are meant for each version of the application? Are there differently named subfolders, or do they use differently named shared styles, or a different format for the "details.txt" file within each style's named folder?

I do not want to risk blowing away any of my Reunion 9 style sheets when I install Reunion 10, so I cannot just figure this out empirically before being assured that won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TeriPettit View Post
            Shucks. It took a lot of analysis going back and forth between the style sheets and the report output to figure out how all the Reunion 9 css tags are used and where they are defined.
            The elements (div/span names, etc.) in the stylesheets are very similar to 9, it's mostly which CSS file contains the elements that's been changed to some degree - the Font CSS contains font settings, Format contains the layout/line styles/etc., and Color handles all the color settings.

Don't you have any documentation used by your own style sheet developers that could be made available to users?
            We don't have any internal documentation that could be shared.

Also, can you say whether the Trees can be attached to the other kinds of reports when you set the destination to Web Folder? (I am guessing the answer is "no", but it's worth asking.)
            You're guess is right - Trees can only be included with the Web Project.

If Reunion 9 and Reunion 10 share the same Web Styles folder, how do they distinguish which style sheets are meant for each version of the application?
            Reunion 10 uses a different naming scheme for the folders containing it's styles (e.g., "Format - Dotted"). Installing Reunion 10 should not wipe out any Reunion 9 styles.

HTH
            Mark Harrison
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by TeriPettit View Post
              If Reunion 9 and Reunion 10 share the same Web Styles folder, how do they distinguish which style sheets are meant for each version of the application? Are there differently named subfolders, or do they use differently named shared styles, or a different format for the "details.txt" file within each style's named folder?

I do not want to risk blowing away any of my Reunion 9 style sheets when I install Reunion 10, so I cannot just figure this out empirically before being assured that won't happen.
              Hi. I'm very interested in how you dealt with this problem. I am facing with the same issues. I miss how version 9 dealt with CSS. Any advice?

Comment

Working...
              X