This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording DNA information

Hi. I searched on DNA in all open forums and came up empty-handed.

I've had some relatives do DNA tests and I was considering what, if anything, to document in Reunion and how.

I thought about a simple Flag that would indicate if they had done a DNA test but then I realized I should list the company they did it with too. So that led me to think of a Fact. But then I also think I might want to include their Haplogroup or some part of the DNA information so that may be an event -- like with the company as a location and the memo being a Haplogroup. Or it could just be a note field. However, I do want to be able to search quickly and see who has done the tests so maybe a note field and a fact?

If anyone is doing this, please share what you are doing and why.

Thanks,
    Deena

Re: Recording DNA information

Originally posted by Deena B View Post

I've had some relatives do DNA tests and I was considering what, if anything, to document in Reunion and how.

Thanks,
    Deena
    I have recorded two facts - Y-DNA & mtDNA for the Haplogroup results of those who have done the tests, then I record the testing details (test ID; test company, cross reference to external results spreadsheet(s); etc) in the 'Medical' note.
    While it's true that a person's DNA may mutate during their lifetime, I don't think an event is required.

FWIW, I do the same thing with Blood group - a fact, and extra info in 'Medical'.
    Peter Cook
    Rossmoyne, Western Australia
    OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

Originally posted by Deena B View Post

I thought about a simple Flag that would indicate if they had done a DNA test but then I realized I should list the company they did it with too. So that led me to think of a Fact. But then I also think I might want to include their Haplogroup or some part of the DNA information so that may be an event -- like with the company as a location and the memo being a Haplogroup. Or it could just be a note field. However, I do want to be able to search quickly and see who has done the tests so maybe a note field and a fact?

Thanks,
      Deena
      Hi Deena,

I use a mixture of logs and flags. In addition to surname logs, I have a DNA log where I document matches or possible matches (all the ones ancestry has labeled as 4th cousins have turned out to be 6th cousins!). And I've created flags that connect people with similar DNA. So far it's been a good system.
      Katharine Ott, Ohio

Comment

I've done DNA testing and have found some distant relatives that I have added to my reunion database. I have created a flag for those persons, but I would also like a way to show that the entire line back to our common ancestor has been verified via DNA testing.
        Roberta

Comment

It would be nice to have fields only haplogroups and subclades, but also kit numbers with which lab and Gedmatch kit numbers.
          Roberta

Comment

Working...
          X