This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit speed names for places?

I did look in the manual but can't find any help. Can I Edit speed places in Reunion 10? I used to be able to do it in 9. I want my city of choice to show when I type "Corn..." but I'm getting another city and must arrow down past it

Re: Edit speed names for places?

Originally posted by genealogist.lily View Post
    Can I Edit speed places in Reunion 10?
    Lily,

There's no separate list of speed names in R10, so you have to scroll past any place names that precede the one you want, just like you've been doing.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Lily,

If I'm reading you correctly you can "edit" the "nuisance" speed place by deleting it altogether.

Select Places, then the nuisance place which should then bring up a little Rename window with the place highlighted.

You can now just delete this place completely by selecting change.

I've tried it many times to correct or delete places I don't want anymore.

Alan
      iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
        You can now just delete this place completely by selecting change.
        But you can't delete it and also use it in your file, which is I think the issue here...
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          But you can't delete it and also use it in your file, which is I think the issue here...
          Exactly Dennis. I can't delete a place from a small family grouping, but on the other hand, because of that one family I am stuck with extra keystrokes for hundreds of others. Can I alter the first with an extra space or a number. Probably. But why should I have to mess up my file that way? Remember, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? An editable speed place/name list was elegant. I would like it back, please. ~Lily

Comment

If the aggravation of a few arrow strokes outweighs the savings of having to type the name over and over, consider something like TypeIt4Me which will let you type any string of text by typing a "trigger" - e.g. I can type TypeIt4Me by typing t4 and then a space to expand the t4 to TypeIt4Me.

I for one have urged for years that ALL names and places should be available in Speed Names, and would not want to see that changed.

Roger
            Roger Moffat
            http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
            http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Yes, please can we have the speed names list back?

I have a place called "London, City of". Whenever I use it, the entry defaults to "London, City Of" (with a capital for the "of"). Each time I have to go into "Places" and change the name to the lowercase version. There is then no place in the list with the uppercase version, but a new entry, even using the dropdown list, reverts to the uppercase version. Very annoying!
              Nick Michael
              LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
              GOONS Member 3814
              http://laidman.one-name.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
                Absolutely! It's frustrating to have a place name you used ONCE easily accessible - more easily that one you use all the time!

And it would be annoying to have to set up another application to do what Reunion used to do for me.

Roger says 'I for one have urged for years that ALL names and places should be available in Speed Names, and would not want to see that changed.'

I'm happy with that - provided those of us who want to can edit that list and make only our chosen names available. Then everyone will be happy!

Jamie.

Comment

[QUOTE=genealogist.lily;38420]I did look in the manual but can't find any help. Can I Edit speed places in Reunion 10? I used to be able to do it in 9. I want my city of choice to show when I type "Corn..." but I'm getting another city and must arrow down past it

Comment

I'd love to see something like what Adobe Lightroom does in its keyword panel (I think old versions of Quicken did this for transaction auto-fill, too). When Lightroom auto-completes keywords, it looks at which keywords you've used recently and puts them higher in the list than they would normally be, usually right at the top of the list.

Let's say you've been entering some events that all take place in Chicago. After the first couple, Reunion would recognize this and make "Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA" the first choice when you type 'Chi' (or even just the 'C' key). If you pick a different place, that would then come first, but Chicago would still be second. In the case of Lightroom, it resets this weighting each time you launch the application, which I find to be a nice compromise between convenience and predictability.

While we're on the subject of autofill, I'd love to see the version 9 (and earlier) behavior return, where places and surnames are autofilled in-line, rather than in a menu. In version 9, I could type enough characters to get a match, then go ahead and tab to the next field. In version 10, I MUST arrow down to choose the place I want, even if there's only one item there. The new behavior makes it marginally easier in the case where I'm entering a completely new place at the expense of delay and annoyance in the much more common case of entering a place already in the place list. I can't count the number of times I've ended up with events that take place in "Chi" or "Bos" since upgrading to Reunion 10. A combination of the 9 and 10 behaviors would actually be best: the menu of choices pops-up (as in 10), but the top choice auto-fills in-line (as in 9 and earlier).
                    Brad Mohr
                    https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

Yes, what Brad said about the auto-fill being inline, and not requiring choice from a menu!

Roger
                      Roger Moffat
                      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I also agree with Brad & Roger. However, if there must be a choice, I would rather have the in-line default.
                        Kaye Mushalik
                        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I hate having to do two steps, where one worked perfectly. I dislike the menu choice but the only solution now is to arrow down - or type the whole thing myself - which negates the purpose of an auto-fill entirely. I'm definitely on this bandwagon! ~ Lily
                          Last edited by Frank; 09 November 2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I like the "most recently used" algorithm for the first suggested extension for each substring as well. The navigation list of alternative suggestions could still be in alphabetical order rather than recency order.

There could be a preference on auto-complete names:

- Alphabetical always
                            - Most recently used in session (reset to alphabetical on opening family file)
                            - Most recently used in file (manual reset only)

With more than 50 thousand people in my database, there are many town or county names that appear in five or more different states, etc. It gets very tedious navigating past them all when I want one of the later ones in the list.

Also, it would be a great help if place names that appear only in the Burial field were suggested separately, so that if you are entering a name into a non-burial field, the names that appear only in burial fields are not suggested. Not too many people are born or married in cemeteries! Since some cemetery names like Pleasant View or Oaklawn or Forest Lawn or Memorial Gardens are extremely common, when I am entering someone who is born in a town or county that starts with a similar substring, there may be 20 or more cemeteries to get past before the town name appears.
                            My Home Page: http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/

Comment

Working...
                            X