X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perspective Events

Hello,

After an hour in the Help file, I have just now figured out that the directions for adding perspective events assume that the user is already inside the Charts, Timeline, Create Chart. Yikes!

I am trying to add perspective events to the Ages display. I vaguely recall this was an option in ver. 9.

I created a perspective event in the timeline chart. Is there a way to get that information displayed when looking at Ages? So far, it's not happening. The event was Queen Elizabeth dies, 1603. What am I missing?

Thanks
    Kristin
    Researching 16thc England

Re: Perspective Events

Originally posted by kbundesen View Post
    Is there a way to get [a perspective event] displayed when looking at Ages? So far, it's not happening. The event was Queen Elizabeth dies, 1603.
    If you search the manual for "Including Perspective Events in the Ages Sidebar", you'll get only one hit, and if you click it I think you'll have the instructions you need. I think the step you may be missing is that you have to save the event as a set of perspective events before adding that set to the ages sidebar. In your case it should be a text file something like:

24 March 1603<tab>Elizabeth I, Queen of England dies<tab>Richmond Palace, Surrey, England<return>

Under "Technical Information on Perspective Event Sets" (another search) you will find additional information about using older Perpective Event set files to work with Reunion10 (essentially, change the file name to end with ".pEvents") and about information you can add to the files to govern how events are shown in the ages sidebar (though you may or may not decide that's needed).

If you do decide to, you'd have a file like:

ages<tab>[date] [event] at [place]<return>
    agesN<tab>[date] [event]<return>
    24 March 1603<tab>Elizabeth I, Queen of England dies<tab>Richmond Palace, Surrey, England<return>

You'll find user contributed event sets and some further useful information at http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/versio...rspectives.php
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks! I made an RTF file according to the tech directions now the problem is getting it into the right folder. I've only found one Application Support/ Reunion 10 /Perspectives folder on my system but the program isn't finding my file there. I even restarted the program after saving the RTF there.

The Perspectives folder isn't in the normal tree structure as I migrated my entire user folder structure from a previous computer onto a hand-me-down computer with a different username as root.

So the tree looks like this:

HandMeDownUsername/Desktop/MyUserName/Library/Application Support/Reunion/Perspective Events/ElizabethEvents.RTF

There doesn't seem to be a HandMeDownUsername/Library folder.

Do you happen to know how I find out where the Reunion program is looking for the Perspectives folder?

I've attached some screen shots showing the contents of a test file in TextEdit, the folder structure with the file name as a perspectives file in RTf and the pop-up menu in Reunion for perspectives when on the Ages screen showing the default files but not the one I have created - just in case it helps explain the situation.

Thanks for your help.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kbundesen; 09 May 2013, 09:51 PM. Reason: Adding graphics
      Kristin

Comment

Do you happen to know how I find out where the Reunion program is looking for the Perspectives folder?
        I think where the folder is depends a bit on the version of OS X.

But if you click on the desktop (so the Finder menus are active), and go to the "Go" menu and select "Go to folder..." and type "~/Library/Application Support" into the window (without the quotation marks), you should find the Reunion folder you're looking for there.

Alternatively, typing "~/Library/Application Support/Reunion/Perspective Events" should take you right to where you want to go.

The tilde (~) stands for your home directory, and it's easier to let "Go to folder..." interpret it for you rather than try to figure out what it "really" stands for.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

I've attached some screen shots showing the contents of a test file in TextEdit
          Also, I don't know if this is the source of any problems, but looking at the file, you want to remove the headings (Day Month Year EventDescription EventPlace) and just start with the events.

(Also, there's a typo, Elizabeth was born 1533, not 1553)
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your help. I still don't have it sorted out apparently. I deleted the first line - the row header of Date, Place etc. as you suggested.

Saved it again as an RTF with the file extension of pEvents. I see it in the folder structure next to the pEvent files for American Presidents, etc. But it does not display inside the program. I am presuming this is the right folder structure because there are no other pEvent files on my hard drive.

A bit flummoxed at this point.

Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance.
            (Also thanks for the typo call out. I was just knocking out a quick trial file before committing any serious effort to it.)
            Kristin

Comment

NEVER MIND!

I figured it out. The Library folder in the root user is flagged as hidden. So I couldn't see the correct Application Support/Reunion/Perspective events folder. I had saved the pEvents file I made in the wrong location - the visible location which was a carryover from my previous computer.

It's all working now.

Thank you again for your time and thoughtfulness.
              Kristin

Comment

It's all working now.

Thank you again for your time and thoughtfulness.
                Glad you managed to get it sorted out!
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
                X