X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making the switch

Morning all,

I am new to the forum.

I have been doing my family history research for a number of years now, and a couple of years ago started using Family Historian. I am about to move from a PC to a Mac, and whilst I do like FH and its certainly (in my opinion) the best PC package I have found, I am trying to avoid partitioning my hard drive and installing windows to continue using if I can.

One of the features that I really like about FH is the ability to add icons to the tree view so that you can see at a glance (for example) that you have someones birth certificate, census records etc etc. I have come to rely on this feature, and wondered if there was anything similar in reunion?

Thank you.

Karen

Re: Making the switch

Hi Karen, There certainly is something similar - Flags. These are fully customisable, and show as a "checked box" on any person's edit screen. The manual is excellent in describing the use of flags and Leister also has many examples of how users use flags.

Like you, I made the switch a few years ago, both from PC to Mac and from FH to Reunion. Initially I tried to use Windows on the Mac with a couple of PC family history programs, but very soon ditched that. I had grown to detest everything to do with Windows, viruses, Anti Virus stuff just to keep Windows alive; Firewalls and other nonsense. I too liked Family Historian, especially its ability with editing trees live but I am now a totally happy Reunion user. I only wish I'd switched earlier as I find that its still difficult to ditch all my windows thinking when using the Mac. The fact that Reunion is also available on the iPad was also a clincher for me.

Hope this helps you, and that I understood your post fully, and that you find this Forum as helpful as I do
    Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Sorry , I meant to say, Welcome to ReunionTalk, so
      Welcome to ReunionTalk

Re reading your post, I'm not sure that Flags can be displayed on a Tree or Chart in Reunion. Hopefully there will be others who can give you that answer? But it is so quick to switch from a chart on screen to a person's edit screen that I think it can still give you what you need.

The Flags constantly help me avoid classic senior moments such as ordering someone's Certificate, only to find I've already done that a few years previously.
      Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

I agree. I use the flags to keep track of what vital records I have already for a particular person, as well as whether I might already have checked online for, as an example, WWI draft registration records (U.S.). For my purposes, I use them as a "positive" indicator - yes, I have looked at something, or I do possess the paperwork.
        The only time I have used the flag the other way is to indicate that I need to look up the person on the 1940 US census (i.e. I have not yet obtained the record).
        They are great to track what you have, as well as using in searches to determine what could be found but has not yet (by its absence as a positively marked flag).

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
          I'm not sure that Flags can be displayed on a Tree or Chart in Reunion. Hopefully there will be others who can give you that answer?
          Yes, flags can be displayed on charts. See the attached chart, with a pope flag flying...
          Attached Files
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
            Flags are close to FH, which shows them as icons, rather than words, but close enough.
            Will be keeping my PC for a short time and downloading the trial of reunion to make sure I am happy with it before ditching the PC completely.
            The iPad app was also a plus for me too. Great for remote research

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
              Yes, flags can be displayed on charts. See the attached chart, with a pope flag flying...
              What flag? All that I see are three boxes with data; one of the boxes contains a thumbnail photo. No flag. (Safari 6.0.4)
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                What flag? All that I see are three boxes with data; one of the boxes contains a thumbnail photo. No flag.
                Box with thumbnail: last line of text.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
                  Box with thumbnail: last line of text.
                  I was looking for a real flag! It goes without saying that I don't use Reunion flags.
                  Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                  Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                  iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                  X