This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cities in multiple counties

How do people enter cities that are in multiple counties?

Example: Delphos Ohio which is in both Allen and Van Wert counties.

Re: Cities in multiple counties

If the city is related to an event, I use the county that the event occurred in. Although, sometimes I can't determine which county that is, in which case I choose the most likely and put the other county in the memo with an explanation.
    Tom Boyd
    boydroots.net

Comment

Originally posted by jmayes View Post

In the Place field, if I can't figure out the correct county, I put city name, county/county, state, country.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Depends on the timeline.... I have never run across a city that was in two counties concurrently. That doesn't say it's impossible but rather it has to be a rare thing.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Cities in multiple counties are hardly rare. In North Carolina, it almost seems to be the norm. Every city of any size appears to have annexed territory across county lines. However, most cities are primarily in one county. The one problem city that comes up often in my data base is Mackinaw City, Michigan. The county line runs along the Mackinac Bridge and divides the city in half. I have ended up with three places, one for each county and one for when I am not sure, with both county names: Mackinaw City, Emmet/Cheboygan County, Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
            Depends on the timeline.... I have never run across a city that was in two counties concurrently. That doesn't say it's impossible but rather it has to be a rare thing.
            Don't know how rare it is but I was born in a hospital in Potter County, TX and lived my first 18 years in Randall County, TX all in Amarillo.
            Reunion 9, Macbook Air, OSX 10.8
            Nash (NC)
            Pennington (KY)
            Routt (TN)
            McIlheran (TN).

Comment

Where is the "record" located? Or what does the source say? I'd use that criteria. And then have a note that says that "such and such city is found in such and such counties".

I have a lot of places that had counties change, especially overseas. And quite a few that changed countries. (Hey, I have Dutch colonial ancestors, so I am still trying to figure out the labeling for the pre New York settlers. It doesn't help that no one else has either.)

Christina
              Christina
              Searching for Moog, Nippert, Wilson, Wolf, Mule, and a whole bunch of other names

Comment

Working...
              X