This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using iCloud to backup Reunion

Is there a way to backup my Reunion file to iCloud?

Re: Using iCloud to backup Reunion

Originally posted by Shelbyw View Post
    Only applications distributed through the Mac App Store can use iCloud.
    Benoit Bousquet
    Reunion 14

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by Shelbyw View Post
        I use Dropbox which works well if used right. Never open the file on more than one machine at a time.

Comment

Brand new on Tidbits this morning is an article about a product that works with iCloud storage. I've only glanced through the article, so someone may want to read it thoroughly or even try it out. The product is CloudMate for about $7. Read the Tidbits review at http://tidbits.com/article/13679.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by George Chapman View Post
            I use Dropbox which works well if used right. Never open the file on more than one machine at a time.
            This leads me to a question: is it possible/advisable to use something like Dropbox or Google Drive as the place where you keep all your Reunion related files (family files, media files, etc.)? I could see this as being really handy for anyone who wants to be able to work with Reunion from more than one computer. On the other hand, though, it would be way less than handy when visiting a relative--and I have some--who do not have Internet access.

Is anyone doing this and, if so, how is it working out?

Tim Smith
            Athens, Ohio

Comment

I don't use iCloud, but do use a dongle - which I use for all internet access when in an archive which doesn't have wifi available. It may be a tad expensive, but saves the heartache when broadband goes down or isn't available.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by smitht View Post
                This leads me to a question: is it possible/advisable to use something like Dropbox or Google Drive as the place where you keep all your Reunion related files (family files, media files, etc.)? I could see this as being really handy for anyone who wants to be able to work with Reunion from more than one computer. On the other hand, though, it would be way less than handy when visiting a relative--and I have some--who do not have Internet access.

Tim Smith
                Athens, Ohio
                I use dropbox in this way (i.e. to store my Reunion (9) family file and Media files). This is so I can access these at home with my iMac or away from home from my laptop. The only thing to watch out for as George indicated is to make sure you don't have Reunion opened on both machines at the same time. This could cause damage to your family file. If you do use dropbox (or other cloud services) in this way, it is always a good idea to have a recent backup of your family file on separate media.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Bush View Post
                  I use dropbox in this way (i.e. to store my Reunion (9) family file and Media files). This is so I can access these at home with my iMac or away from home from my laptop. The only thing to watch out for as George indicated is to make sure you don't have Reunion opened on both machines at the same time. This could cause damage to your family file. If you do use dropbox (or other cloud services) in this way, it is always a good idea to have a recent backup of your family file on separate media.
                  I too use Dropbox and agree with Jim that one must be very careful to make sure only one computer is accessing the one file at a time. In fact, do not log off, or put to sleep before Dropbox has been updated with your recent work. Nor open a file before it has been updated from Dropbox. Apart from those caveats I find Dropbox extremely useful.
                  Robin
                  Victoria, Australia

Comment

Tim Smith
                    Athens, Ohio
                    Tim, I use Dropbox to access my familyfile in various locations: in my study on my iMac; in my living room on my Macbook Air; at the public library, Family History Center and National Arhives. It works well, but there are considerations:

- Outside locations (library, etc) may not have Dropbox software installed.
                    - Outside locations with public access computers will not have Reunion installed, so you need to take a laptop or mobile device with you.
                    - If you store your familyfile(s) in Dropbox or other cloud storage, it will not be automatically backed-up by Time Machine running on an external drive.

That said, there are real advantages to accessing the same familyfile in different locations.

Lee James Irwin
                    FamilyMatters Research
                    familymatters2u@gmail.com
                    Falls Church, VA
                    Last edited by Mark; 10 April 2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

A question:

Originally posted by ljirwin42 View Post

- If you store your familyfile(s) in Dropbox or other cloud storage, it will not be automatically backed-up by Time Machine running on an external drive.
                      I'm not sure this is true? As I understand it, the files exist on my computer, and are synced to the cloud--so, there are copies on my computer that Time Machine backs up. Or, am I wrong?
                      Derrick
                      pitard.net

Comment

Originally posted by ljirwin42 View Post
                        I just checked and my DropBox folder and its contents is backed up on TimeMachine so I have in effect a history of the DropBox in TimeMachine.

And

in fact DropBox keeps a backup for 30 days too

Roger
                        Roger Moffat
                        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Here's a Dropbox caution that will never apply to most people, but it MAY apply to you someday, so FYI...

If you have Dropbox on your computer, and you decide to get a new computer, passing along your old computer to a relative for their use, be sure to Uninstall Dropbox from the old computer before they start to use it.

I upgraded to an iMac from a PC, and gave my PC to my husband. He wanted Dropbox, but didn't need access to my genealogy folder on it, so he deleted my genealogy folder. I suddenly noticed that my genealogy stuff was GONE from my new computer's Dropbox folder (and was so new in my set-up that I hadn't backed up files yet).

All was retrieved, thank goodness. But we learned in the process that any given computer can only have one person's Dropbox account on it. In essence, Dropbox thought my old computer (now my husband's) was just another one of my synched machines, so when he deleted the folder, Dropbox thought it was "me" deleting the folder.

Those of you who are tech whizzes may find this obvious. I'm pretty tech-savvy compared to many, but this one slipped past me. Thank goodness Dropbox keeps deleted files and folders for 30 days. Just remember, before you get rid of a computer (to a friend or to a school or non-profit to which you may be donating, or even taking it to an e-waste recycling event), UNINSTALL Dropbox from it, or "you" will live on in that piece of hardware, to your potential huge future dismay.

Comment

I have been using Dropbox for a long time but because of security issues with Dropbox have moved some of my files to Box (free 10GB to start). I kept my Reunion files with Dropbox.

My file (120 MB) was once corrupted and had to be "fixed" by Leister in house. I was told to avoid using Dropbox because of the issues mentioned in this thread. I back them up on several HD & USBs. I have a Time machine but also use it to back up more frequently the files to a folder on its HD. The Time Machine cycle may be too long.

I always close the Reunion file whenever I finished working on it. It gives time to Dropbox to back it up.

One suggestion to fix "conflicted" copies with Dropbox. Check the size of your file, if it changed drastically, it is a sign that Dropbox corrupted it. Because the Reunion data file is really a folder, some of their contents may be duplicated with the "conflicted" label. With a right click on the icon, you will get a Show Content sub menu, open it and delete the duplicate files.
                            Alain Farhi
                            http://www.farhi.org

Comment

Originally posted by AlainFarhi View Post
                              One suggestion to fix "conflicted" copies with Dropbox. Check the size of your file, if it changed drastically, it is a sign that Dropbox corrupted it. Because the Reunion data file is really a folder, some of their contents may be duplicated with the "conflicted" label. With a right click on the icon, you will get a Show Content sub menu, open it and delete the duplicate files.
                              You're correct that having 'conflicted' files appear in your family file package indicates that Dropbox has gotten confused and your family data might have been corrupted. However, deleting these files will not fix anything.

The only drawback is that your family file is larger and takes up more hard drive space. Reunion simply ignores those 'conflicted' files.

If your file gets corrupted, you most likely will need to send it to us for repair.

Another important point that indirectly came up in this thread and has been mentioned before: If you've decided that you want to open family files in the Dropbox folder with Reunion, do not set up Reunion to automatically open when you log in or turn on your Macintosh. What will happen is that Reunion is launched right away and your family file is opened and then Dropbox updates your family file after Reunion has already opened that file.

For a few more thoughts on Dropbox, search your Reunion 10 manual for 'dropbox' (no quotes.)

There's also a good discussion of Dropbox (even though it's in the context of Reunion 9) here...
                              Last edited by Deb; 11 April 2013, 04:03 PM.
                              Gregg Witmer
                              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                              X