This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Event Type

I can't figure out how to change an event type. I've loaded a GEDCOM from Ancestry.com, and all of my Census events were generated in the GEDCOM as Residence events. How can I edit this from Residence to Census? I'm willing to do them one at a time, because some of them are true Residence events.

Re: Change Event Type

Originally posted by Rhys View Post
    I can't figure out how to change an event type. I've loaded a GEDCOM from Ancestry.com, and all of my Census events were generated in the GEDCOM as Residence events. How can I edit this from Residence to Census? I'm willing to do them one at a time, because some of them are true Residence events.
    Wondering if anyone has any comment on this post from Rhys? I have a similar query... in Importing what is increasingly turning out to be a less than well-formed GEDCOM file, I have many Residence Events exported in the GEDCOM as type Misc, so I would benefit greatly from being able to alter the Event Type from one to the other... but although selecting the event appears to allow the Type to be edited, typing in "Residence" simply changes the Event type to Misc: Residence, indicating the underlying event structure has not altered (i.e. once a Misc Event, always a Misc event).

My alternatives are to either create a new Residence event and cut/paste Date & Place & Memo date from the Misc event to the new Resi event; or do some significant surgery on the GEDCOM before Importing. Neither very palatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve J View Post
      Wondering if anyone has any comment on this post from Rhys? I have a similar query... in Importing what is increasingly turning out to be a less than well-formed GEDCOM file, I have many Residence Events exported in the GEDCOM as type Misc, so I would benefit greatly from being able to alter the Event Type from one to the other... but although selecting the event appears to allow the Type to be edited, typing in "Residence" simply changes the Event type to Misc: Residence, indicating the underlying event structure has not altered (i.e. once a Misc Event, always a Misc event).

My alternatives are to either create a new Residence event and cut/paste Date & Place & Memo date from the Misc event to the new Resi event; or do some significant surgery on the GEDCOM before Importing. Neither very palatable.
      Take a look at the Reunion Preferences ------> Fields. There is a "Move" button there that allows you to move data from one field to another. That might help you if everything you want to move is of the same type of event.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I am in the same position. After importing my Gedcom I found that I had several misc events, i.e. "Misc: Tax List" & "Misc: Tax Lottery". If I'm understanding the function of "Move" correctly, it will combine ALL misc events and move them to one single other event. Is there any way to simply have "Misc: Tax List" appear simply as "Tax List"?

Also, if I wish to place a misc event in the Family view it appears, for example, as "Misc: 1805 Jefferson Co., GA" rather than "Misc: Tax List Jefferson Co., GA" or, as I would prefer, "Tax List: Jefferson Co., GA".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X