This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GEDCOM to ftDNA

Last month, I attempted to upload a GEDCOM in Unicode to Family Tree DNA. About Dec. 29th, I advised them of the problem and requested advice as to their technical requirements and limitations for submission. I have yet to receive a reply, except to ask whether I am sure I uploaded a file in a .ged format. I responded yes.

A prior thread in ReunionTalk mentioned that ftDNA has a file size limit, but that limit was not specified.

Does any ReunionTalker have experience with ftDNA that may help resolve whatever issue there is?

Thanks.
    Al Poulin

Researching Marcoux, Côté, Dion, Turcotte

Re: GEDCOM to ftDNA

Originally posted by Al Poulin View Post
    Last month, I attempted to upload a GEDCOM in Unicode to Family Tree DNA. About Dec. 29th, I advised them of the problem and requested advice as to their technical requirements and limitations for submission. I have yet to receive a reply, except to ask whether I am sure I uploaded a file in a .ged format. I responded yes.

A prior thread in ReunionTalk mentioned that ftDNA has a file size limit, but that limit was not specified.

Does any ReunionTalker have experience with ftDNA that may help resolve whatever issue there is?

Thanks.
    Hi, Al.

I have submitted my GEDCOM to ftDNA quite a while back (maybe 2 years ago, I don't remember exactly when), and I haven't had any problem. I believe I chose to submit a GEDCOM with Windows character set, though.

R
    Last edited by Frank; 12 January 2013, 09:56 AM.
    Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
    http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
    Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
    MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
    Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

[QUOTE=rodrigue;36722]Hi, Al.

I have submitted my GEDCOM to ftDNA quite a while back (maybe 2 years ago, I don't remember exactly when), and I haven't had any problem. I believe I chose to submit a GEDCOM with Windows character set, though.

R
      Last edited by Frank; 12 January 2013, 09:56 AM.
      Al Poulin

Comment

Thanks.
        Is there anything in their documentation about requiring a GEDCOM file to be in Unicode, as opposed to UTF-8?

A Unicode encoded file is twice as large as a UTF-8 encoded file since it encodes every character using 2 bytes.

If you have extended/accented characters in your database, then a UTF-8 encoded file should suffice.

Roger
        Last edited by Frank; 12 January 2013, 09:57 AM.
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thanks Real, I'll try the Windows character set, but I suspect that will compromise our French accents.
          The French accented characters in my database were not at all affected by the use of the Windows character set. I am also using Windows character set when I want to download a GEDCOM to any of my TNG sites.

R
          Last edited by Frank; 12 January 2013, 09:57 AM.
          Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
          http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
          Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
          MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
          Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

Responding to both Roger and R
            Al Poulin

Comment

Working...
            X