This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

link to data on hard drive

I've been using Reunion 10 for a while now, and it took getting used to, but I really like it. I especially like the new way that places works--it's helped immensely for me to clean that part of my database up. And I use the web search all the time. Very nice.

Question: does anyone have a way--or is there a way that I just don't know--to link a document (or any other file on my hard drive) to a person or people in my family file? I suppose I'm thinking of a short cut of some kind that I can create in Reunion that would link to a file.

Thanks!
    Derrick
    pitard.net

Re: link to data on hard drive

Go to the manual (i.e. Help>Contents) and type Multimedia File Formats. This will show what kinds of file can be linked to a record.

Comment

Oh! obviously! I see how this works! . Thank you.
      Derrick
      pitard.net

Comment

I'm not up to date on how all these bells and whistles work; however, it appears that Pages is not supported by Reunion (Just Word) as I read the manual. Why Do I need to spend money for another "Word" when pages seems to do most every other thing I need - I'm just a simple man.
        Delbert Curlin
        Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
        Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

It will support just about any word processor you want and Pages is choice number one. See the screenshot.
          Attached Files
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
            I'm not up to date on how all these bells and whistles work; however, it appears that Pages is not supported by Reunion (Just Word) as I read the manual. Why Do I need to spend money for another "Word" when pages seems to do most every other thing I need - I'm just a simple man.
            If you're referring to not being able to link to a Pages file as a multimedia file it's because the Pages format is not very widely compatible and isn't currently a great choice for archiving data. It's an easy problem to work around though, since you can save as a Word document from Pages or even better, print to a PDF file.
            Tim Lundin
            Heartland Family Graphics
            http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              It will support just about any word processor you want and Pages is choice number one. See the screenshot.
              Then why is it when I follow Mr. Talibards instructions I get the following from the manual:

Under document file formats;
              Reunion's mulltimedia features support the following ---etc.,

PDF
              RTF
              Microsoft Word
              Text

There is not mention of Pages being supported. Just Word.

I'm sure I am missing something very important but I don't understand. Also I don't know how to make a "screenshot" to show you or I would include the actual manual copy.
              Delbert Curlin

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                If you're referring to not being able to link to a Pages file as a multimedia file it's because the Pages format is not very widely compatible and isn't currently a great choice for archiving data. It's an easy problem to work around though, since you can save as a Word document from Pages or even better, print to a PDF file.
                Sorry - I didn't read Mr Lundin's answer before responding to Mr. White. But I guess what you are saying Mr Lundin is I do need to spend quite a few dollars for 'Word' in order to use the features required. I just don't have that kind of money so will have to pass on this features use. Thanks for the info though.
                Delbert Curlin

Comment

I think I said you do NOT need a copy of Word to do the job; that Pages will do the job just fine.

It's just that you won't be able to use the native Pages document format. Simply use Pages to generate your Word or PDF format documents that Reunion will recognize.

And you won't need Word to read the Word documents either. Or the PDF documents. Pages will be able to read the Word documents and Preview will read both.
                  Last edited by ttl; 19 December 2012, 06:14 PM.
                  Tim Lundin

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                    I think I said you do NOT need a copy of Word to do the job; that Pages will do the job just fine.

It's just that you won't be able to use the native Pages document format. Simply use Pages to generate your Word or PDF format documents that Reunion will recognize..
                    Thanks- I had no idea why friends could not read Pages documents I sent them but I guess they have to be saved as Word (Which I didn't know you could do). I figured if I could read what they sent me they should be able to read what I sent them. So much for assuming. So much to learn in this new age and so little time left to learn it.
                    Delbert Curlin

Comment

Originally posted by delbertcurlin View Post
                      so much to learn in this new age and so little time left to learn it.
                      Tim Lundin

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
                        Thanks- I had no idea why friends could not read Pages documents I sent them but I guess they have to be saved as Word (Which I didn't know you could do). I figured if I could read what they sent me they should be able to read what I sent them. So much for assuming. So much to learn in this new age and so little time left to learn it.
                        Most likely your friends are using PCs with Word. Pages is not available on PCs. it's that simple. Tim offered one good solution.

Here's another: Bring up your Pages document and go to Print. In the lower left corner of the Print dialog box, there is a popup menu. The second choice is Save As PDF. Choose that, make sure that you are saving to whatever location that you want to save it to and then click OK. The beauty of this is that all of your friends, regardless of PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc... will be able to open and read because all of these will read a PDF document.
                        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                        X