This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINDAGRAVE Memorial # lost in upgrade?

When I can identify a gravesite, I add that ancestor's Find-A-Grave Memorial number in the

Re: FINDAGRAVE Memorial # lost in upgrade?

I can't imagine you will lose the data, but you can do the upgrade and see... your Reunion 9 file will be untouched in the process. The Burial event name can be changed (I think) but it might be better to create a new Find a Grave # fact (not event) to track that info.

It's possible you might be able to use the Move feature to transfer the number from the Burial event to a new fact field.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Just to offer an alternate approach to FindAGrave references, I created a source representing the web site, which provides the site's URL. Then for a person's burial event, I add that source to the event and place the memorial number into the Detail field of the Source Citation entry for that event, for example: "Memorial# 74867745" (without quotes) is what I put in the Detail field. Then when the source link is included in a report it will look like this:

Burial: 19 Sep 1939, Morrison, Whiteside Co., IL [1498, Memorial# 74840193]

And in the Source list at the end of the report it looks like this:
      1498. WEBSITE, Jim Tipton,
      Bruce Winton Christopher
      Environment: Reunion 14 build 240325; macOS 10.15.7
      bruce@bwchristopher.com

Comment

As Bruce does, I have a Source for Find A Grave & put the memorial # in the Details. I also put all my FG info in Misc. Notes. This includes whether I added the the memorial, asked for it to be transferred to my care or just found but did not ask for a transfer. If no transfer was requested, I show whether or not I put it in a Virtual Cemetery & which one. Also indicate whether there is a headstone/marker photo and, if not, if I request one. In other words, a mini history of the memorial.
        Here are a few samples:

1) 15 Sep 2012-Found Memorial #___ on Find A Grave with headstone picture. Requested transfer to my care. 9 Oct 2012-Memorial transferred to my care by contributor ____, FG member #____.

1) 12 Jun 2012-Found Memorial #___ on Find A Grave. No headstone picture. Requested headstone photo. Will not request transfer of memorial to my care because contributor ___ is also related to the ___ family. 8 Jul 2012-Photo added by ___, FG member #___. On FG profile, ___ gives permission to use any photos he has taken.

1) 28 Sep 2010-Added memorial #___ to Find A Grave. 8 Apr 2011-Requested photo of headstone. 8 Apr 2011-Photo added by ___, FG member #___. On FG profile, ___ gives permission to use any photos he has taken for any genealogical purpose without contacting him.

I use Sticky Notes to set up templates of basic phrases I use for the FG entries. Then I just copy and paste and then fill in the XXX section. Example:

1) XXX(date)-Found Memorial #XXX on Find A Grave with headstone picture. Will not request transfer of memorial to my care at this time. Added memorial to XXX Virtual Cemetery list.

I think Sticky Notes went away in Mountain Lion. Haven't updated yet so not sure what I will do with the templates.

Each FG note is always the first note in Misc Notes. Second, if can find, is the obituary. All other notes are numbered after those.

Hope this is helpful.
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
        X