Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

change folder name without damaging MM links?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change folder name without damaging MM links?

I need to export a gedcom for a relative who uses a PC, and include MM links.

But before I do that, I need to change the name of the root folder that contains the folders that contain my MM files, all linked in reunion.

Is there a way to do that without breaking every single link to my many MM files in reunion?

Thanks.

Paul

Re: change folder name without damaging MM links?

If you're using Reunion 10 you can just change it and Reunion will find the new path and update the links for you.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Be aware that Reunion finds the first instance of a file name and uses that. If you have files with the same name but in different folders, links can be lost. This happened to me with census images where I had built a folder hierarchy of year/state/county/ED. ED names repeat. Still haven't figured out an easy way to undo this.
      Paul

Comment

Paul, What you are suggesting is no longer true in Reunion 10. The name of the image file no longer matters; you may change it in the Finder, or relocate the file, and Reunion 10 will find it with no intervention required on your part. And you can have multiple picture files with the same name and Reunion 10 will keep them all separately identified.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Frank,
          Good to know. My little fiasco happened when I converted from PAF to Reunion 9.

Being a wary soul, I'll give it a test in 10. Once burned, ... :-)

BTW, I love all the new features in 10. Especially like the utility of the Find feature.

Paul

Comment

Thanks, folks.

I tried this with a copy of my reunion family file - and it worked just fine.

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X