This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage 'notes'

When looking at the Family View, how can I tell which families I have entered 'notes' under the marriage button?

I have found a way of finding a list of the ones which have a citation included, but there doesn't seem to be any way of finding those without or just simply seeing that something is included.

Thanks
    Margaret

Re: Marriage 'notes'

I too would like a marker of some kind to indicate where notes exist. The same goes for place names.
    Nick Michael
    LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
    GOONS Member 3814
    http://laidman.one-name.net

Comment

Well, Reunion's latest version didn't reflect my request for some sort of marker to indicate that there is text in the marriage notes field. Nor for that matter in the place names notes field.

I would have thought that it would be easy to (for instance) highlight the notes tab in the marriage layout if there were text in it. After all, the multimedia indicator changes if there are multimedia items available. Why not for the marriage and place name notes fields?

I can only hope that this will be included in the next update. Meanwhile I have to guess if there are notes or not, which is quite a time waster.
      Nick Michael
      LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
      GOONS Member 3814

Comment

Nick,

I can't say I've ever felt deprived or subjected to time wasting by lack of a special marker for inclusions in marriage or place name notes fields - but I only have 13,403 couples among 18,788 individuals listed in my main Reunion database, and have only used Reunion since about 1985, so perhaps it's early days for me.

Reunion for many years has had a simple, powerful means for users to assign customizable attributes: flags.

Have you tried going to Flag Preferences, and adding flags named for attributes like marriage notes, place names or any other special attributes you want to tag to individuals? This works for just about any special attribute users might think of.

Cheers,
        Grant Thompson

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Well, Reunion's latest version didn't reflect my request for some sort of marker to indicate that there is text in the marriage notes field. Nor for that matter in the place names notes field.

I would have thought that it would be easy to (for instance) highlight the notes tab in the marriage layout if there were text in it. After all, the multimedia indicator changes if there are multimedia items available. Why not for the marriage and place name notes fields?

I can only hope that this will be included in the next update. Meanwhile I have to guess if there are notes or not, which is quite a time waster.

Comment

Thanks Grant: that would be A solution, but not for me, as I already have 142 flag options - I use them really intensively and it'd make more clutter than ever. Also, it wouldn't help with place-name notes.

All I'm asking for is for the little Notes icon in the place-name list, or the Notes tab in the marriage layout, to behave in the same way as the Multimedia icon in the sidebar, which has a little head in it when there's a multimedia item, and is blank if there's none. Not much to ask, nudge, nudge...

I had no idea Reunion was going as early as 1985, although I now see Frank started it in 1984 (his avatar photo looks suspiciously young!). I started in 1992, when it was Hypercard-based.

All the best,
          "Deprived"
          Nick Michael
          LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
          GOONS Member 3814

Comment

All I'm asking for is for the little Notes icon in the place-name list, or the Notes tab in the marriage layout, to behave in the same way as the Multimedia icon in the sidebar, which has a little head in it when there's a multimedia item, and is blank if there's none.
            Wow, I didn't know what you were talking about until I searched around just now -- in the lower left sidebar, you get a little head on the Multimedia line if you're on a Person card who has something in there! Cool! (I'd previously searched "multimedia indicator" the the manual per your earlier post but there are no results for that search, and too many Multimedia pages of the manual to look through for what you were talking about.)

I also vote for "anything" that would reveal the existence of Notes, not only in the Marriage record but in the regular Person record. I have "only" 800+ records. ;-)

Cheers,
            Susan Freas Rogers

Comment

How about a Find? Click "Find", click "Couples", set Conditions: to "Misc. Notes" and "Doesn't Contain" and then leave the next area completely blank. This will find any couple that has a Misc Note. Change "Doesn't Contain" to "Contain" to find couples without marriage misc notes. Is this the notes you are looking for? It isn't an easy indicator, but it might help.

PS - Excellent hint about the indicator for the MultiMedia. I learned something new today! Thank you!

Originally posted by Margaret Parkes View Post
              When looking at the Family View, how can I tell which families I have entered 'notes' under the marriage button?

I have found a way of finding a list of the ones which have a citation included, but there doesn't seem to be any way of finding those without or just simply seeing that something is included.
              Last edited by jcmurphy; 12 March 2013, 10:20 PM.
              Jon

iMac late-2015 (iMac 17,1) and macOS Sierra version 11.12.x
              Reunion 11.x & Safari 10.x

Comment

A simple solution, but you will have to take time to do it by going through all of your married couples and putting some form of indicator in one of the fields? For example I have put a * in the Place field, (see screenshot) but you could do anything you like and put it anywhere in either the Date or Place field.

To make the entry task easier try searching couples for "Marriage Status" "Has Citation" this makes it a lot easier to cover all for whom you have a marriage record.
                Attached Files
                Andrew Allsop

Comment

All I'm asking for is for the little Notes icon in the place-name list, or the Notes tab in the marriage layout, to behave in the same way as the Multimedia icon in the sidebar, which has a little head in it when there's a multimedia item, and is blank if there's none.
                  Me too, please. It's one reason I avoid using notes in the marriage window.
                  Jamie.
                  Last edited by Deb; 13 March 2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X