This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIN numbers in Legacy and Person ID

I have recently moved to MAC and Reunion from Legacy. I imported my family file via GEDCOM and have noticed that the Legacy RIN numbers and Person ID don't match up. Is there anything I can do to fix this as all my source document files are based on RIN number and if would be a big job to have to go through all the files and change the numbers.

Re: RIN numbers in Legacy and Person ID

Elizabeth, not sure if you are still looking for an answer, but I too am in process of converting to Reunion from Legacy, and working on all of the issues.

On your particular issue, I have not had a problem with:
    1) Reunion Person ID not matching Legacy RIN, or
    2) Reunion Family ID not matching Legacy MRIN.

The problem you may have some missing RINS or MRINS in your Legacy Database. If there are missing ones, then Reunion will do some renumbering.

First Backup your Legacy Database in case your results are different than mine.

To correct missing RINS, use Legacy's Tools > Renumber RINS to fill in missing RINS from highest RINS. From same Renumber RINS you can separately fill in missing MRINS from highest MRINS.

After this is done, the import to empty Reunion Database should work for you.

Tom
    Tom
    http://www.kuehnfamily.org

Comment

Reunion automatically generates Person ID Numbers, it does not create them from the RINs that may be in the Legacy GEDCOM.

However, the RINs (and MRINs) should have been imported (assuming they were exported to the GEDCOM), you should check in:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Fields, Usage

For a field named similarly (e.g. it may show as "*NEW[RIN]" in the list).
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Hi Mark,

For clarification: RIN is what Legacy calls their Person ID, and MRIN is their Family ID. They are not imported as separate fields into Reunion and therefore will not show up in
        Reunion -> Preferences... , Fields, Usage

The important part of what I was trying to communicate is that if there are no gaps in the Person ID and Family ID numbers in Legacy exported GEDCOM, then they import nicely into Reunion and are maintained in a new Reunion FamilyFile.

If there is a gap, then yes, Reunion renumbers them. I was trying to provide Elizabeth the means by which to import her information without the IDs changing. It was an old thread and I should have ignored it. This probably only works when importing a GEDCOM into an empty Reunion family file.

For me, and others displaying their genealogy results online using TNG, it is important not to change these ID's since the media links would then have to be re-entered in TNG.
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomk View Post
          They are not imported as separate fields into Reunion and therefore will not show up in Reunion -> Preferences... , Fields, Usage
          They are not imported because they never get exported to the GEDCOM. I've just tested this; if they were exported to a field in the GEDCOM, Reunion would import them (though into a separate field, Reunion would still create it's own IDs). That's why I clarified my previous post with "...assuming they were exported to the GEDCOM".

The important part of what I was trying to communicate is that if there are no gaps in the Person ID and Family ID numbers in Legacy exported GEDCOM, then they import nicely into Reunion and are maintained in a new Reunion FamilyFile.
          This is purely incidental -- Reunion does not "import" or "maintain" the ID numbers in the new Family File. The results you're seeing are simply because Reunion is sequentially giving each person/family an ID as it gets imported, and Legacy sequentially exported the entries based on the RIN/MRIN.
          Last edited by Mark; 02 January 2013, 02:37 PM.
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks Mark,

Yes you are right, it is coincidental since both Legacy and Reunion both export GEDCOM in Person ID and Family ID order. Bottom line it makes it easier for a Legacy user to transition to Reunion.

For clarity, I am talking about the following data where the Reunion Records are exported after Legacy GEDCOM was imported:

Reunion-export-Gedcom.ged_line#12: 0 @I1@ INDI
            Reunion-export-Gedcom.ged_line#251: 0 @I2@ INDI
            Reunion-export-Gedcom.ged_line#264: 0 @I3@ INDI
            Reunion-export-Gedcom.ged_line#281: 0 @I4@ INDI
            Reunion-export-Gedcom.ged_line#300: 0 @I5@ INDI
            Reunion-export-Gedcom.ged_line#408: 0 @I6@ INDI

Legacy-export-Gedcom.ged_line#22: 0 @I1@ INDI
            Legacy-export-Gedcom.ged_line#289: 0 @I2@ INDI
            Legacy-export-Gedcom.ged_line#309: 0 @I3@ INDI
            Legacy-export-Gedcom.ged_line#356: 0 @I4@ INDI
            Legacy-export-Gedcom.ged_line#384: 0 @I5@ INDI
            Legacy-export-Gedcom.ged_line#738: 0 @I6@ INDI
            Last edited by tomk; 02 January 2013, 06:34 PM.
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X