This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-square pictures with transparent backgrounds

I'm having a problem with 10.0.2 that some displays of pictures with a transparent background show that background as coloured. I am using PNG images as these include transparent parts though PDF images do this as well.

I have a whole family of shield shaped pictures. They have transparent surrounds so that only the shield and its contents appear when placed on top of a coloured background.

In version 10 this works well if I put such pictures directly on a chart, even when on top of a coloured rectangle or circle.

But if I drag the picture into a person box on the chart, the background appears white. This did not happen with version 9.

Similarly if I associate a PNG picture with a person through Multimedia, it displays OK on the Family view and Tree View but both give those pictures a white background. Version 9 used to do this but I could tolerate it as I did not print directly from the Family Views. (Though I cannot associate PDF pictures through Multimedia.)

Can anyone confirm this? (Or not!) I can put samples of these pictures on an internet site if anyone wishes to check.

Tim Powys-Lybbe
    Mac OS 10.7.4, Reunion 10.0.2
    tim@powys.org http://powys.org

Re: Non-square pictures with transparent backgrounds

When I drag a PNG file with transparency into a chart box, the background of the image does remain transparent (i.e., it appears correctly).

However, if a PNG files is added to a person in the family view and designated as "preferred" then a white background appears. Making transparent PNG images appear transparent in the family view (person buttons) is on the wish list.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      When I drag a PNG file with transparency into a chart box, the background of the image does remain transparent (i.e., it appears correctly).
      This is weird! So I have attached a PNG file to this post as it is both transparent and when I drag it from the filer to a person box in the chart, the background does NOT remain transparent.

Tim Powys-Lybbe
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Powys-Lybbe View Post
        This is weird! So I have attached a PNG file to this post as it is both transparent
        Which parts are transparent?
        Tom Boyd
        boydroots.net

Comment

Originally posted by thboyd View Post
          Which parts are transparent?
          Oooops! I thought I had to reduce the size to get it through the forum's systems and my size reduction process clobbered the transparency and i did not notice what I had achieved!
          2nd time lucky with the original full size version with transparency hopefully appended.

But the upload process turned it into a JPG, or at least called it a jpg! So I've put it on my website at: <http://powys.org/lge/pictures/new_Pics/Meadowe.png>. It's a mere 45K. It downloaded OK here and still showed the problem when I dropped that into a person box on a Reunion chart.

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Comment

The PNG file I grabbed from your web site is working fine for me. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. In this example, I drag/dropped it into a chart box...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Frank; 09 June 2012, 07:59 PM.
            Frank Leister
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

The PNG file I grabbed from your web site is working fine for me. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. In this example, I drag/dropped it into a chart box...
              In the preview window of Reunion 10.0.2 your image has the lower left and right sides black, in the photo window of the person field, it's white. Not transparent. Yet in Preview, it's transparent (grey in those lower areas).

Same way in the Chart box, white in the lower right and left corner. I've got another .png file I tested with and the same results. Transparent edges in Preview and white borders where the transparency should be.
              Attached Files
              Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

Try this...

Control-click a chart box that contains an image with transparency.

From the pop-up menu that appears, choose Frame Picture in Box > [anything but "Soft Rectangle"].

It looks like selecting a "Soft Rectangle" frame for the image creates a white background to transparent images inside a chart box (in order to provide a soft rectangular frame surrounding the image).
                Last edited by Frank; 09 June 2012, 09:25 PM.
                Frank Leister
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Try this...

From the pop-up menu that appears, choose Frame Picture in Box > [anything but "Soft Rectangle"].

It looks like selecting a "Soft Rectangle" frame for the image creates a white background to transparent images inside a chart box (in order to provide a soft rectangular frame surrounding the image).
                  That did fix it in the chart, but not the person card (not an option for Frame). Almost all of my person images are full frame JPG, so not a big deal for me. Just mention it is all.
                  Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

Thanks for trying it out. The mystery deepens, then. Here's a shot of a pic I took from a freshly created chart using Reunion 10.0.2. I have no idea why it should be OK on your machine and not on mine, running OS 10.7.4.

Tim Powys-Lybbe
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Powys-Lybbe View Post
                      The mystery deepens, then. Here's a shot of a pic I took from a freshly created chart using Reunion 10.0.2. I have no idea why it should be OK on your machine and not on mine, running OS 10.7.4.
                      Select the chart box and from the Object menu make sure Frame Picture in Box is set to None -- it looks like you have Soft Rectangle selected.

Originally posted by harringg
                      That did fix it in the chart, but not the person card (not an option for Frame). Almost all of my person images are full frame JPG, so not a big deal for me. Just mention it is all.
                      Frank took the PNG image directly into the chart -- the transparency was preserved. However, when an image is linked to a person (any kind of image) it is resampled to honor the user defined rotation and cropping before being displayed or taken into a chart. Transparency is removed (and converted to white) as a part of this resampling process.

If you have an image with transparency, take it directly into the chart rather than automatically through the family file. Transparency is converted to white in the family file.
                      Gregg Witmer
                      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I'm losing the transparency also.

Nevermind. I sent this before reading the rest of the thread
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by thboyd; 10 June 2012, 08:11 AM.
                        Tom Boyd
                        boydroots.net

Comment

Try this...

Excellent and in fact a mere ten minutes ago I had discovered that for myself and now see that I was a bit late in reading the forum! Anyhow the problem is now fully resolved, many thanks for your help.

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Select the chart box and from the Object menu make sure Frame Picture in Box is set to None -- it looks like you have Soft Rectangle selected.

Frank took the PNG image directly into the chart -- the transparency was preserved. However, when an image is linked to a person (any kind of image) it is resampled to honor the user defined rotation and cropping before being displayed or taken into a chart. Transparency is removed (and converted to white) as a part of this resampling process.

If you have an image with transparency, take it directly into the chart rather than automatically through the family file. Transparency is converted to white in the family file.
                            In fact the transparent images work well direct from the family file; all you have to do is to change the frame to None on the chart. So it looks like the problem with the Family View is solely s display problem, not one of altering the file.

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Comment

Working...
                            X