X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merging People

I want to merge two people.
    Their names are as identical as I know how to make them.
    Reunion refuses to match them.
    What do I do now?

Re: Merging People

Originally posted by John Bayle View Post
    I want to merge two people.
    Their names are as identical as I know how to make them.
    Reunion refuses to match them.
    What do I do now?
    Are their dates also identical?

In any case, try dragging one of them (A) from the "People" sidebar to the other one of them (B) in the Family View section. Reunion should ask "Do you want to Merge (Name A) into (Name B) or Add (Name A) as a spouse of (Name B)?"

You should answer "Merge..." and see what happens.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

No, their dates were not identical.
      When I did that the match went ok.
      So they are now merged! Seems to me that the new Match/merge function
      is much less flexible than the old one. The match/merge in Rel 9 let the user choose the number of characters in names to match and whether the dates matched. Now it seems that everything has to be an exact match.

Comment

You don't have to make the dates identical in order to persuade the 'drag and drop' method of merging to work; so maybe it's reasonably easy to use after all. These do take some getting used to, though, don't they?
        Jamie.

Comment

However I've now got into a tangle trying to merge two wives on one person by dragging one of them into the clipboard and then back onto the family card of the second wife.

One crash later, and a second try at the process, I've ended up with two wives with the same name and details but still not merged - and only one entry in the index for them. Now since if I mark one of them, they are both marked (but the number of marked people remains 1) I don't know how to find my way out of this.

And when it crashes, R10 can take a very long time to restart because it has to cache and index the places.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
            I've now got into a tangle[...]two wives with the same name and details but still not merged - and only one entry in the index for them.
            If you've crashed in the middle of a merge, and been left with the behavior you describe, it's time to ask for help at the Reunion help desk ( help@leisterpro.com ); they'll probably need to fix your file for you. Incomplete merges can't be fixed by the end user.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
            X