This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sources and Index list at same time?

I'm just moving to Reunion 10 and stumbled last night on something that surprised me. I'm used to having the source window ALWAYS open -- I source everything I do, usually by duplicating an existing source and editing it, and almost always the index window also -- I used the index ability to add columns and sort to find groups of people I was working on.

Last night I opened the separate Source list -- just what I wanted. Then I switched the Sidebar to People and clicked to open the People in a list. The Source list window switched to People -- not at all what I wanted!!! On my first try at Reunion 10 it looks like I've lost function that was important to me -- can someone tell me I'm missing a way to have both a Source list window and a People list window? So far for me the Sidebar is just cluttering up my screen, since it's too narrow to show anything useful. Scrolling remarkably slowly through several hundred women with no surname just to get to the As is not helpful, especially when I'm not sure how a W surname was spelled. The other things that go in the Sidebar just don't really interest me.

I want to like Reunion 10 -- help?

Susan

Re: Sources and Index list at same time?

I do not see a way to open TWO List windows at the same time in Reunion 10, unfortunately.

The best I can suggest is that you widen the Sidebar to show an expanded view of the source data while displaying the People index as a separate List window. But this may necessitate that you have a large screen or that you narrow the family view in order to widen the Sidebar.
    Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Plass View Post
      So far for me the Sidebar is just cluttering up my screen, since it's too narrow to show anything useful. Scrolling remarkably slowly through several hundred women with no surname just to get to the As is not helpful, especially when I'm not sure how a W surname was spelled.
      I can't address your main question, but do have some thoughts.

[1] you can widen the sidebar. From "Resizing the Sidebar" in the manual: move "the mouse between the left edge of the sidebar and the right edge of the family view. When the pointer changes into a Resize cursor, just click and drag to change the width of the sidebar." I keep my sidebar on the wide side, so I can read places like "along the Monongahela River, western Pennsylvania" and names like "von und zu Eltz genannt Faust von Stromberg, Philippine (1757-1797)" in their entirety.

[2] there are more effective ways of navigating the people list than scrolling. If you want to go to Alice for whom you have no surname, click in the search box at the top of the people sidebar, and type ", Alice" (the part between the quotes). The comma skips past the last name, and the Alice will search on the first names. And if you can't remember the spelling of the "W" surname of cousin Sylvia, you can search on the first name there also: "W, Sylvia" should narrow the possibilities considerably.
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Byron, Dennis,

Thanks for your feedback -- I had tried to widen the sidebar and just wasn't getting the pointer change. I tried again and this time got it. That helps a bit, but I still can't get multiple columns with other fields (typically I've run with last, first, married names, birth date & place, death date & place) which help me distinguish people of the same name. I also often do things with the index like sort by birth date to see who was alive at such&such a census, of age to be drafted, etc. I can do much of that with find, but it was quick and easy with the index open all the time.

I'm trying to make myself use 10 to get used to it, but I'm getting ready for a trip to SLC and may have to go back to 9 and convert again when I get back; I'm afraid to make any changes to the 10 database which I might lock me in.

As long as I'm at my desktop I have enough screen real estate for 3 or 4 visible windows at once, so width isn't a problem -- I just want it all at once!

Susan

Comment

Byron,

Your suggestion to swap the list (to People) and sidebar (to Sources) helped a lot! With the wider screen I can see everything I need for a source, and the list lets me set up 7 columns for the people. Thanks very much!

Of course now I've discovered I want both Family and Edit visible at the same time... I just want every good thing about Reunion 9 kept while new things are added. By many standards reading through this forum I have a small database (9700 people, just under 4000 sources), but I use it several hours every day, so I want it to work well.

Susan

Comment

Sorry to send a 'me too' message, but I also use the workflow described by Susan Plass and I've found, as she has, that Reunion 10 does not seem to permit it.

I've been used to having a lot of list-type windows open simultaneously, switching between them with Cmnd-~. I was just starting to use a second monitor so that I could see more than one open window at a time.

If R10 does not permit several list windows to be open at the same time, along with the family card, then that is definitely a loss of function. That is, to say the least, a disppointment.
            Alan Boyd
            Edinburgh, Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X