This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading IPTC Photo Captioning

I've searched the forum archives without success for information on why IPTC captioning cannot be imported into the comments field when a photo is placed in the multimedia window. I understand that only a pointer to the photos location of the photo is actually stored in Reunion, but why can't the IPTC caption/description be read and inserted?
    Many graphics applications such as Photo Mechanic, Photoshop CS and Elements, Lightroom, Bridge, Aperture, iPhoto Graphics Converter, iView Multimedia, Expressions, etc., allow for entering EXIF/IPTC Metadata, as well as read that data.
    Currently one has to open the photo in one of these applications, copy the caption, then go to Reunion and paste it in the comments field? Doable, but inconvenient.
    Can anyone explain why Reunion cannot read this information?

Re: Reading IPTC Photo Captioning

I second this request!

Comment

Perhaps you could explain what kind of data this is and why it is so important!
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi Bob - This is just text data embedded in image files. There's standards for it, and as a photographer, it's invaluable for managing images. It'll document things like camera settings when the image was captured, creation date, and also things like photographer, copyright info, and keywords. I would expect that of particular interest to a genealogist is its ability to carry title and geo coding data.

If you open a photo in Preview and go to Tools->Show Inspector, you can see a really crippled viewer for the data. If you have Photoshop Elements, the File->Get Info function will probably give a better look at it.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

I think the other big advantage, is you can caption your photos in such a way that the captions are embedded in the JPG (or whatever) file and stick with it when you copy the file to other computers. You aren't tied to a particular software to see you captions and they can't get "disconnected" from the images. It's the digital equivalent of writing on the backs of photos.

Comment

Thank you guys... the explanation was for others. The gist of my comment, which I left unsaid (maybe mistakenly), was: If you use an abbreviation that is not commonly known, explain it to your audience.

The question remains in my mind is why is it important to you to have this information stored within Reunion. Please expand on this subject.

Comment

Bob, sorry, but I did not feel it was necessary to get into great detail.
              EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) is data recorded by the camera and stored in the photograph. It includes, film speed, lens aperture, geotagging, date and time the picture is taken, etc.
              The more important data for Reunion is the IPTC information entered by the photographer through one of many different applications. The IPTC (International Press Telecommunications Council) standard was developed by this council in the 1970s as a means for world press organizations to create a standard for photo information that could be used by newspapers, magazines, etc. It has since also became a standard for stock agency submissions. A photographer enters title, caption, copyright, keywords and other information that is stored as data in the photograph for photo identification.
              Prior to retiring, I worked for a large chain of newspapers and we worked diligently with photographers to make sure this data was present in the photograph before submission for possible usage and for inclusion in the permanent searchable photo archive.
              My Reunion workflow involves Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. I create a catalog and import photos into "Catalog A" for image correction, processing, renaming and entering IPTC information, including a caption with "all the information about that photograph." After processing, the photo is exported at a reduced size/resolution directly into the photo folder I have designed in the Reunion preferences. All photographs in that folder are then imported into "Catalog B," which manages the actual files used in Reunion. The "original" photograph is never touched in this process and remains in it's original state in "Catalog A." Getting the IPTC caption information is a matter of actually selecting and copying the caption data from the "Catalog B" data fields, then dropping the photo into the appropriate multimedia location, and lastly, pasting the caption data into the Comments field in Reunion.
              It is doable, but it is not convenient.
              Hope this clarifies the previous post, and my question of why can't Reunion read and import this standard information field.
              Last edited by Chuck Mathews; 19 May 2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that, if you change the caption embedded in the file, you will then also have to change it in Reunion. And if you only caption it in Reunion but want to share the photos with family who don't have Reunion, then no captions.

Comment

Cutting to the chase (and correct me if I am misreading you), essentially you are making a copy for your Reunion file and leaving the original elsewhere. And that is exactly what I do. If a relative wants a photo, he or she is going to get a copy of my original. At least 95% of my relatives just want a photo. The only data they care about is identification of who is in the photo and when the photo was taken. Mind you, I'm not saying I'm for or against your proposal; I simply wanted to see some discussion about it.

Comment

Yes, essentially that is what I do. And I feel, and have always felt, that the captioning and other data in the file makes the picture much more valuable. The other reason for making a separate copy of the corrected original file is because of the reduced image size for possible usage on the web in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Mathews View Post
                      Yes, essentially that is what I do. And I feel, and have always felt, that the captioning and other data in the file makes the picture much more valuable. The other reason for making a separate copy of the corrected original file is because of the reduced image size for possible usage on the web in the future.
                      I too use Lightroom 4 to catalog my photos for Reunion. And since I started using TNG on my web server I've gotten away from "reusing" a photo in Reunion. Meaning using the single image for multiple people with the Reunion Crop tool. In fact, I've removed all my media from within Reunion and slowly adding it back. Since TNG reads the media link in the GEDCOM all I have to do on my web server is drop the cropped images in a folder via FTP. Works great.

With a family of four, I have the original, and four virtual copies (Stacked when not working with them) and each has it's own crop and I use IPTC for embedding my Person ID and any other comments like Chuck does. LR4 even geotags the images now, so cemetery photos have the coordinates embedded as well. Then when I export, I use that IPTC information to auto-name the photo, makes it easy to quickly ID a person when their file name is the same number as their person card in Reunion. I also use IPTC to embed copyright information when I've gotten a photo from another person, to give them proper credit. Source citation is critical in genealogy, right? That way,wherever that image ends up, it's got the critical information embedded.
                      Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

Working...
                      X