This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last name uppercase

I am seeing the following behaviour which I have reproduced in a test dataset. The default for a new Family File is that the last name is not in uppercase. Having added a few names into a new family file, I then use the Change/Case option to change the last names to uppercase. This works fine, but when I add subsequently an unrelated person, or a spouse without a pre-existing surname, then the last name appears in lower case in the Family View and the People sidebar, even though the entry form now has the option for "last Name UPPERCASE" ticked. This seems to be a bug.
    I am using 10.0.1.

Re: Last name uppercase

I'm not seeing the problem you're describing.

Just to make sure we're on the same page...

When you use the Change > Case feature, it simply changes the case of people's names who have already been entered.

By contrast, the Last Name UPPERCASE button, in Edit Person, will convert the surnames as you enter them (specifically, when you exit the Last Name field).

I.e., these two features are unrelated: the first one is to clean-up or correct existing entries (for example, after importing a GEDCOM file). The latter is for lending a hand with data entry.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

OK - here are the exact steps pared down to the minimum. Fails every time:

1. Create New Family File
      2. Add a Male Person
      3. Type in First Name and Last Name in the entry panel and leave Last Name UPPERCASE unchecked
      4. Click done and the last name in lowercase as expected
      5. Now action Change/Case and convert last names to Uppercase
      6. Result - the last name is now in uppercase
      7. Go back to Family View and add unrelated person.
      8. Entry screen opens up with Last Name UPPERCASE now checked by default
      9. Enter last name in lower case - as it is being typed it appears in UPPER case just below the menu bar on the entry panel. So far so good.
      10. Click Done. What has just been typed is still in LOWER case in the Family View button and in the sidebar.

UPDATE - actually you can skip the Change/Case bit. Just checking Last Name UPPERCASE has no effect for me. The last name as it is typed is mirrored in upper case at the top of the entry panel, but after clicking done it is still in lower case in the Family View button and sidebar
      Last edited by Frank; 10 July 2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Hi Keith,
        We figured out where the problem is.
        It happens if the Last Name UPPERCASE button is checked and you click Done before exiting the Last Name field.
        It doesn't happen if the Last Name UPPERCASE button is checked and you press Return/Enter to return to the family view (which is what I was doing) or if you press Tab or click in another field before clicking the Done button.
        This will be fixed in the next maintenance update.
        Thanks for providing more detail.
        Last edited by Frank; 10 July 2012, 11:38 AM.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Great - many thanks.

Comment

Re: 1st & middle names remain lower case

When entering new family member, all boxes have checkmark, last name, initial cap, etc. adding either new parent for child or new children for parents. I enter the first names, then Apple key + 2 to go to date, hit Enter key and first names remain lower case.

Comment

...entering new family member
              all boxes have checkmark, last name, initial cap, etc.
              adding either new parent for child or new children for parents.
              I enter the first names
              then Apple key + 2 to go to date
              hit Enter key
              first names remain lower case.
              Following the steps above, I can't duplicate any problem.
              Two possibilities...
              1. the Initial Caps button in the Edit Person > Events is independent of the Intitial Caps button in the Edit Person > Name. So I want to be sure you're not expecting one of these buttons to affect the other. (i.e., the Initial Caps button in "Name" won't' affect capitalization of words in the "Events" and vice versa)
              2. please re-check your steps above to see if there is any missing step.
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                Following the steps above, I can't duplicate any problem.
                Two possibilities...
                1. the Initial Caps button in the Edit Person > Events is independent of the Intitial Caps button in the Edit Person > Name. So I want to be sure you're not expecting one of these buttons to affect the other. (i.e., the Initial Caps button in "Name" won't' affect capitalization of words in the "Events" and vice versa)
                2. please re-check your steps above to see if there is any missing step.
                I've taken to using the tab key to move around before going to set a birth date. It occurs if I had the first names either to parent or child and not moving to another entry point - so I have the 1st names in lowercase then I do Apple+2 and go to date the first name stay in lowercase. If I enter first names and hit tab it goes to family names & the first name take caps OK.

Comment

I too have experienced this with the first letter of the name and the all caps of the surname not "taking." The correct boxes are checked on both pages. I too have found that if I tab after entering the given name and tab after entering the surname, both appear correctly when I leave the screen. If I don't tab, they revert to what I entered without caps appearing correctly.
                  Martha in California

Comment

Working...
                  X