X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding New Spouse of Female Uses Wrong Surname

Hi,

When adding a new spouse to a female person record Reunion populates the surname field on the male record to the female's surname.

This should be left blank.

Regards

Darren.

Re: Adding New Spouse of Female Uses Wrong Surname

Which version do you use? I tried this in version 10.0.1 without any problems. When I use 'Add New Spouse
    Reunion 10.0.1, Reunion for iPad and iPhone

Comment

Hi,

Just tried this on 9.0 and get the female surname automatically inserted in as the male's surname.

Works the same on both 9.x and 10.0.1.

FYI, this is a second spouse. The female's set up is like this:

1st relationship - no spouse:
      1 child (illegitimate)
      2nd relationship - spouse listed with full name
      0 children

When viewing the 1st relationship and clicking "add new spouse" the female's maiden name is inserted into the new spouse's surname field.

When viewing the 2nd relationship and clicking "add new spouse" the new spouse's surname field is left blank.

Regards

Darren.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren Wheatley View Post
        When viewing the 1st relationship and clicking "add new spouse" the female's maiden name is inserted into the new spouse's surname field.

When viewing the 2nd relationship and clicking "add new spouse" the new spouse's surname field is left blank.
        The new surname is taken from the first child, which in this case is the mother's maiden name. In most situations this is the right thing for Reunion to do.

If the "guessed" surname is wrong, you can simply change it -- since you're already in the Edit Person view.
        Gregg Witmer
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense, but is predicated on the idea that the new spouse is the parent of the first child.

This is not the case always, and in fact the problem is compounded as Reunion sometimes adds the new spouse as the father of the child, which is not always what we want.

What's confusing is that Reunion is not behaving consistently. I know I can change the data if I need to, but Reunion is making decisions about my data without making it obvious or asking me for confirmation.

Take my scenario (using the same female):

+ 1 child (illegitimate)
          + 0 children

In my scenario, adding a new spouse should be the same action no matter which of the female's previous relationships I am viewing at the time.

At the moment Reunion adds a new relationship if there is already a spouse in the current relationship being viewed, but if there is not a spouse in the current relationship being viewed it adds the new spouse to the current relationship and makes it the parent of the children, when in fact it should IMHO create a new relationship with no children.

So, starting from my scenario above, if I add a new spouse I should end up with:

+1 child (illegitimate)
          +0 children
          3rd relationship with new spouse
          +0 children

Then I have the option to link people and children together if I need to.

Hope that makes sense!

Regards

Darren.

Comment

Working...
          X