This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

photo link restore

i have about 500 photos that had been linked to iPhoto from 2003. after the upgrade to reunion 10, I am having trouble telling reunion where to find the photos to relink. When i try to manually link it up, iPhoto library is grayed out and i cannot drill down. I tried to click the box in preferences that says "always look in iPhoto" and it does not work.

Any suggestions?

Ross

Re: photo link restore

Hi Ross,

Have you tried this?

Go to:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Multimedia

And make sure the "~/Pictures" folder is listed under "Search these locations for missing media items...". Also make sure the iPhoto option you mentioned is checked - though the iPhoto library should get searched anyways, since we have the "~/Pictures" folder listed.

Then, click on "Repair Media Locations..." and see if it fixes things.

Note that, if you've recently upgraded iPhoto, it may have reorganized your iPhoto Library which will cause problems with transferring the links from Reunion 9 (because the links may no longer be valid).

iPhoto library is grayed out and i cannot drill down.
    This is due to a change in OS X/iPhoto, the Library is now a Package instead of a Folder, so you can't drill-down.

Let us know if you already tried the above, or if it doesn't fix the links. Thanks!
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Is there a limit to the depth of subfolders within a specified multimedia file location that will be searched?

'Repair Media Locations' reported 119 missing files, but I was able to locate most of them within the identified photo folder. Those folders are organized along family lines, so there are as many as 9 or 10 sub-levels corresponding to the approximate number of generations.

And, BTW, R10 is crashing on that report quite regularly.

-Paul
      -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
      MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
      MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Originally posted by RossDeHovitz View Post
        .....Any suggestions?......Ross
        Yes, don't link to iPhoto because you subject yourself to the whims of Apple's programmers frequent "adjustments" in the iPhoto file structure which you cannot touch. The most dependable method is to store your photos within the Reunion Pictures folder in the Reunion Files folder. If you do some searching, you can find many discussions on this subject in ReunionTalk.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Yes, don't link to iPhoto because you subject yourself to the whims of Apple's programmers frequent "adjustments" in the iPhoto file structure which you cannot touch. The most dependable method is to store your photos within the Reunion Pictures folder in the Reunion Files folder. If you do some searching, you can find many discussions on this subject in ReunionTalk.
          I just want to link the file back to folders containing the photos - how do I do that as none are in iPhoto?
          DPL
          david@scgroup.biz
          Sydney, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
            Yes, don't link to iPhoto because you subject yourself to the whims of Apple's programmers frequent "adjustments" in the iPhoto file structure which you cannot touch.
            This isn't as big of an issue in Reunion 10 as it was in 9 and previous versions, because we don't just store a link to the file anymore, we store an "alias" of sorts that should maintain the link to the file even if it's moved or renamed.
            Mark Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by DPL View Post
              I just want to link the file back to folders containing the photos - how do I do that as none are in iPhoto?
              You can't link to folders, just to the image files -- to do that, drag-and-drop the file from a Finder window into the Multimedia for the appropriate individual/family/source.
              Mark Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by DPL View Post
                Not exactly sure what "file" you're referring to here. But, just in case you're asking how to tell Reunion (or your family file) where your folders of pictures are located, you'd do that in Reunion > Preferences > Multimedia Files (add the folders containing your photos to the top list).
                Frank Leister
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Although a little off topic, I am curious why Reunion doesn't store photos in its database, especially now that storage capacities are hardly an issue?
                  Tom Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    This isn't as big of an issue in Reunion 10 as it was in 9 and previous versions, because we don't just store a link to the file anymore, we store an "alias" of sorts that should maintain the link to the file even if it's moved or renamed.
                    Oh, what a fantastic improvement this should make!!! Thanks, Mark!

Martha
                    Click here to email me
                    OS X 10.7.5, Reunion 9.0c
                    http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Comment

Originally posted by martha View Post
                      Oh, what a fantastic improvement this should make!!! Thanks, Mark!

Martha
                      I have found this to be a fantastic change to the way I manage my image files with Reunion 10. I use a particluar naming convention for my images depening on document type etc and this allows me to attach a new file to someone and worry about getting the naming convention and location right later. My process can now be something like:

1. Download/save file to Incoming picture folder
                      2. Attach image to person etc
                      3. Change name - I use TextExpander to assist with the naming convention of the file
                      4. Move image to folder location - I use Hazel to watch my Incoming picture folder and move them to a location based on the file name i.e File names starting BAP are automatically put into a Baptisms folder.
                      Keith Bage
                      BAGE One-Name Study,
                      www.bage.org.uk
                      GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Brown View Post
                        Although a little off topic, I am curious why Reunion doesn't store photos in its database, especially now that storage capacities are hardly an issue?
                        For what it's worth, Reunion 10 does include thumbnails of all the photos in the database, once it knows where the original photos are to begin with.
                        Tim Lundin
                        Heartland Family Graphics
                        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
                        X