This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide/show sidebar button

I would prefer a different functioning of the hide and show sidebar button: when hiding the sidebar the family view window should take up that place i.e. enlarge.

Michael
    Click here to email me

Re: Hide/show sidebar button

[QUOTE=Michael Rosenk
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      Hold down the option key when you press the sidebar toggle button and it will do what you want it to.

The button has a little arrow in it that shows which way the expansion will occur (you should see it change when you press "option").
      Thanks, you are right.
      Anyway I would prefer the button to behave the other way round, i.e. enlarge and when pressing "option" minimize.

Michael
      Click here to email me

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael Rosenk
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael Rosenk
          Keith Bage
          BAGE One-Name Study,
          www.bage.org.uk
          GOONS (member 4451)

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
            Hold down the option key when you press the sidebar toggle button and it will do what you want it to.

The button has a little arrow in it that shows which way the expansion will occur (you should see it change when you press "option").
            Thank you for the info, but I'd have preferred that to have been mentioned in the video, which shows expansion to the right...
            -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
            MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
            MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
              Or at least a preference so that those of us who expect it to stay the same size can always have that, with the "Option" making it smaller.
              I agree!
              Susan D. Engle

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Bage View Post
                I agree, the implementation seems the wrong way round to me.
                Agreed. The current behavior is more like a drawer attached to the side of the window rather than a pane within it. In my brief survey of other applications, I couldn't find another one that behaves like the Reunion 10 sidebar. On the other hand, there are quite a few that maintain the window size and expand the main content when the sidebar is hidden: iCal's reminder list, Mail's mailbox list, Preview's page thumbnails, Safari's reading list, and Automator's library panel. (Note that these are all left-side sidebars.)

As I was playing with the sidebar just now, I came across a bug (or perhaps "quirk" would be a better word). Show the sidebar. Resize the window so it is quite wide, then resize the sidebar wide as well. In my case, this is my default window position: the window fills about 3/4 of the width of my 27" screen, with the sidebar wide enough to show the longest name in my file (with birth and death appended). Next, hide the sidebar. Resize the window to its minimum width, then option-click the "show sidebar" button. The sidebar reappears at its former width, making the content area super-narrow. That's part 1 of the quirk. Next, use the splitter to resize the sidebar. As soon as you start to resize, the content area snaps to its usual minimum size, shrinking the sidebar in the process.

I really like the way Mail's mailboxes sidebar works in this regard. If you resize a mail window narrower (with the sidebar shown), as you pass the minimum content width, the message list column begins to narrow. When it too reaches its minimum width, Mail will narrow the Mailboxes sidebar. If you continue to narrow the window, the sidebar will reach its minimum width as well, at which time the sidebar will automatically be hidden. If you then show the sidebar again with the window at its minimum width, Mail resizes the window to the smallest size that can contain the content, the sidebar, and the message list (without violating any of their usual minima).
                Brad Mohr
                https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

New Version 10.0.1

"Other fixes, changes, and improvements...
                  [
                  Click here to email me

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael Rosenk
                    Dennis J. Cunniff
                    Click here to email me

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael Rosenk
                      Jan Powell
                      in Wellington, New Zealand