This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saving charts as a pdf file

Could some one please guide me on the process of saving a chart I have created as a pdf file
    I want to print the chart and/ or send a copy to others but a box file generally can not be opened by others

Re: saving charts as a pdf file

The simplest way is to choose File->Save Graphic File, then choose PDF as your format from the popup menu. Be warned that Windows users might not be able to view charts over 200" in any dimension.

For what it's worth, if you need large format printing, Heartland Family Graphics can print from (and would prefer) the native boxchart file. Among other things, this facilitates a clean fit of the frame to the paper size for even margins.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Many thanks for the tip on saving a chart as a pdf Tim
      Having done that I have a large chart containing about 200+ names spread over about 9 generations.
      Having saved this file as a pdf to my desktop, when I open the desktop file I have found that the chart has been cut in half. That is only about half the generations have been shown.
      Can you suggest what I need to do to correct this?
      You also mention that you have the ability to print large charts, are you located within Australia?
      I am in Perth W A

Comment

I'm not sure what you're seeing. When you have the original chart open and select File -> Get Info, what is the Chart Size (No Frame)? And are you using Preview to view the PDF, or Adobe Reader?

We're located in the States, but have shipped a number of prints to Australia. If you're interested in more information on this, you can just click the link in my signature and we can take this part of the discussion off-forum.
        Last edited by ttl; 12 May 2012, 09:12 PM.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by g.winters View Post
          Many thanks for the tip on saving a chart as a pdf Tim
          Having done that I have a large chart containing about 200+ names spread over about 9 generations.
          Having saved this file as a pdf to my desktop, when I open the desktop file I have found that the chart has been cut in half. That is only about half the generations have been shown.
          Can you suggest what I need to do to correct this?
          You also mention that you have the ability to print large charts, are you located within Australia?
          I am in Perth W A
          I know that is an older post but my father seems to have the same problem. I tried several settings but all the PDF files that are save as a graphic file are cut in half.

I don't know what we are doing wrong. Does anybody have a solution for this ?
          Raymond Leeuwenburg

System administrator for Pleun Leeuwenburg Dzn.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeuwenburg View Post
            I know that is an older post but my father seems to have the same problem. I tried several settings but all the PDF files that are save as a graphic file are cut in half.

I don't know what we are doing wrong. Does anybody have a solution for this ?
            If you can see both halves, then the problem is in the definition of the page size. IOW, try making the "page" 24x36 in. or even 36x48 in. and then send the chart to PRINT TO PDF. The result should be one [very large] sheet with all your data enclosed. Be advised, however, that if you print this large sheet using a standard 8.5x11 printer, the results will be all but impossible to read! The solution is to take the PDF file to a stationary store and have them use a large format printer.

HTH.
            Arnold
            -----
            RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Thank you for your reply Arnold.

We went back to Print to PDF as a last resort. We tried al settings we could think of and were still not able to use the Save as a graphic file solution.
              Raymond Leeuwenburg

System administrator for Pleun Leeuwenburg Dzn.

Comment

Working...
              X