Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event List (right-click / control-click)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event List (right-click / control-click)

Is there a way to alter the list of Events that appear when I right-click (or control-click) on the event type?

I have set my default Events the way I like them, including a default Residence field. But now with the 1940 census rolling out, I need to add another Residence event to everyone in my family as I locate them.

When I go to the Events section and right-click on the event type, I get a list of 20 events that I can choose from by mousing over them. This would be great, except that only 1 or 2 of these events I actually use on a regular basis. And Residence isn't one of the 20 options I'm given even though it's the event I use the most!

Is there a way to edit that list to choose exactly which ones I want to appear with a right-click? There's only a handful (Residence, Occupation, Military Service, Immigration, Education) that I use 95% of the time and it would make things much faster if they were available on that drop down menu via a right-click.

FYI I'm using Reunion 9.0c.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Event List (right-click / control-click)

This list is auto-populated with the event that you right-click on and events that you've recently added, it can't be modified to show a specific set of fields.

Sorry :-/
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Yeah, that's what is kind of weird about my event list.

Some of the events that appear I have never right-clicked on. Or if I did it was years ago.

Only a couple events I use all the time don't show up on the list.

Residence does not appear on that list even though it is almost always the last Event I have added. And it is the one Event I use the most.

So, is my list working correctly? I'd be happy if it did show the last 20 events I added....

Comment

Originally posted by arotolante View Post
        Some of the events that appear I have never right-clicked on. Or if I did it was years ago.
        It's not whether or not you've ever right-clicked on them, it's whether you've recently added them to an individual (this could be via the right-click or via the "Add Event..." button).

Residence does not appear on that list even though it is almost always the last Event I have added. And it is the one Event I use the most.
        If it was the last event you added to a person, it should show up on the list.

So, is my list working correctly?
        It's really hard to say - it could be working correctly. I'd suggest working with the file for a while and keeping track of what fields you've been adding, and see if it correlates with the events that are shown in the right-click menu.
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Sounds like it's not working correctly for me then.

I added Residence as an Event a dozen times yesterday and it does not appear in that right-click list. Nor did it appear just after I had added it the previous person I found in the 1940 U.S. Census.

Is there anything I can try to do to force this list to work correctly?

Comment

This list is actually created on a per-session basis. So, if you close and re-open the Family File, the list gets reset, which may explain what you're seeing.

HTH
            Mark Harrison

Comment

I see. That makes sense.

But within the same session as I am working.....let's say I have added a Residence field for John Doe using the "Add Event" button, scrolling down, and selecting "Residence" with my mouse. I then type in the new value for Residence (date: 1 Apr 1940 and then the location where that person is living in the census record), add the census citation to the Residence, and then click on Save to the Edit Person card.

Without closing Reunion, I then click on John Doe's wife Jane to follow the same procedure to add her 1940 census Residence information (date and location). When I am on Jane's Events and right-click with my mouse in the Type column, Residence does not appear as an option. The only options I get with the right-click are 20 sort of random Events in alphabetical order that never change. So I have to click on Add Event, scroll down to Residence again, etc.

So in theory, when I am within the same session, when I have not closed Reunion, the last Event I added by clicking on Add Event should appear on the Event Type right-click list? If so, that's not what is happening for me.

I just tried an experiment. Residence might be the only Event Type affected by this glitch. I just added Bar Mitzvah to one person using the Add Event button and clicked save. I then went to another person's Events and right-clicked on Event Type and Bar Mitzvah (which wasn't one of the 20 random Events that normally pops up for me) is now on the drop down list. So this right-click seems to be working, except when it comes to Residence.....strange.

I even just tried to do this with Residence again after the experiment with Bar Mitzvah, but Residence does not appear on the list, whereas Bar Mitzvah does. I closed and restarted Reunion and Bar Mitzvah still appears on the right-click list of 20 options. I then added a Residence event and saved the information, but when I went to another person, Residence still does not appear in the drop down.

I've been getting around this so far by copying and pasting the entire Residence field from one person to another within a household just to save a little time. But still, this hang up with Residence is a little weird. I'm still mystified.....

Comment

Working...
              X