Reunion will not open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion will not open

This morning I find that Reunion on my desktop will not respond when I try to open it. I can open all other documents except those created within Reunion.

I have been using it regularly. The only thing I did this morning was to close it on my laptop to avoid the syncing problems with it open on two computers. It opens normally on the laptop.

Is the information in my directory corrupted? I'm grateful for any advice.

Thank you,
    Anne Murray

Re: Reunion will not open

Hi Anne,

The first thing you should try is to delete the preferences folder, as outlined in #3 under "Things to try..." on this page. Note that you can ignore the rest of the instructions on that page - just follow step #3.

If the problem persists after deleting preferences, let us know.

Thanks,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Hi Anne,

The first thing you should try is to delete the preferences folder, as outlined in #3 under "Things to try..." on this page. Note that you can ignore the rest of the instructions on that page - just follow step #3.

If the problem persists after deleting preferences, let us know.
      I have been unable to find a preference folder for Reunion in the Library. I have tried that route. I also have tried restarting the computer, but it won't restart because Reunion won't quit. I did "Force Quit" Reunion once today but apparently that did not quit the app. It no longer appears as "not responding" in the force quit box. Still, I try to quit it but am unable to do so.

What was I doing before trying to open Reunion? I opened my Family Tree DNA page, where I clicked on my uploaded family tree. I looked at a couple of names in the uploaded tree and then attempted to open Reunion.

I have run Disk First Aid. My OS is El Capitan.

Many thanks.

Comment

I have been unable to find a preference folder for Reunion in the Library.
        You may be looking in the wrong Library -- there's a system-wide Library and your users Library, the latter is hidden in Finder.

Please try the following...

Open a Finder window and select:

Go -> Go to Folder...

From the main menu-bar at the top of the computer screen. Then, in the window that drops-down, type in the following (being sure to include the "~" at the beginning):

~/Library/Preferences/

And click "Go". This should take you to the Preferences folder in your users Library. Look for a folder named "Reunion Preferences" (no quotes) and drag that to the trash.

Then, try opening Reunion again. Let us know the results.

Thanks,
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for helping me find that Library. I found 2 yesterday but nothing with leisterpro in it.

I deleted the files that read leisterpro.plist. I could stell not open the program at that point. I will attempt to attach a screen shot of the files remaining in my Library. Some are from older versions.

With hope,

Anne

Mark,

I'm up and running. On Sunday I grew tired of a reminder on my desktop that updates could not be installed (due to needing to restart). I closed open apps and told the computer to install the updates. It took a long time to do so but eventually the apps were installed and the computer was able to restart. Before restarting it made a troubling noise like a horn. When I clicked "install" I forgot that I had been able to restart the computer on my own.

I do not know whether the updates were from Apple or Microsoft. Also, I do not understand why Reunion was held up - or if it was held up - by them.

I would be grateful if you would look at the list of leisterpro items remaining in my preference file in case they might cause trouble down the road.

Many thanks,
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AnneMurray; 05 November 2017, 10:18 PM. Reason: new information

Comment

Originally posted by AnneMurray View Post
            This morning I find that Reunion on my desktop will not respond when I try to open it. I can open all other documents except those created within Reunion.

I have been using it regularly. The only thing I did this morning was to close it on my laptop to avoid the syncing problems with it open on two computers. It opens normally on the laptop.

Is the information in my directory corrupted? I'm grateful for any advice.

Thank you,
            Anne Murray
            I had the same thing happen a couple of days ago. Nothing I did would open the file. Then I went and checked for updates and found I’d missed the notice for the last release. I downloaded and installed the latest update and all was fine. Check to see if your Reunion is up to date.

Comment

Thanks, Lynda, for the suggestion. It reminded me to install the latest update on my laptop. However, I cannot do that on my desktop since I cannot quit the application.

Cheers,
              Anne

Comment

Thanks, Lynda, for the suggestion. It reminded me to install the latest update on my laptop. However, I cannot do that on my desktop since I cannot quit the application.

Cheers,
                Anne
                You should be able to force quit the app. If you can’t get the app to shut down just restart your your computer and it will close all apps.

Comment

I would be grateful if you would look at the list of leisterpro items remaining in my preference file in case they might cause trouble down the road.
                  If Reunion is working, then these files can be left as they are.

HTH
                  Mark Harrison

Comment

Working...
                  X