People list - somebody missing- can't figure why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People list - somebody missing- can't figure why

I'll use the real name in my Family File of COSTIGAN to illustrate my query.

I have numerous with COSTIGAN as surname, and with other surnames but who married a COSTIGAN.

One of these people is Female COSTIGAN, who married Male DE VRIES.

My understanding if that if I enter -COSTIGAN in the search field people list, Reunion should list all of those born COSTIGAN, and all of those who married a COSTIGAN.

However in searching with -COSTIGAN, Female COSTIGAN who married a DE VRIES is not included. She is however included if I search using COSTIGAN.

Is this by design, or a bug?

Using Reunion 11.0.12. I've forgotten how to determine which Build.

Re: People list - somebody missing- can't figure why

Originally posted by Steven View Post
    My understanding if that if I enter -COSTIGAN in the search field people list, Reunion should list all of those born COSTIGAN, and all of those who married a COSTIGAN.

However in searching with -COSTIGAN, Female COSTIGAN who married a DE VRIES is not included. She is however included if I search using COSTIGAN.

Is this by design, or a bug?
    It's the expected behavior.

Using a "-" before the surname is a search for a married name. But for Reunion, a married name for a woman is either [1] what you've entered in the married name field, or [2] the name of her *last* husband. A married name for a man is either [1] what you've entered in the married name field, or [2] his birth surname.

"-Costigan" should show all male Costigans, and any females whose last husband was a male Costigan.

"Costigan" should show all people born Costigan.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks Dennis. Now I get it.

In which case, if I may suggest an enhancement to Reunion that an additional symbol be used as a prefix which results in a list of those with a birth name OR married name of, in my example, COSTIGAN.

Perhaps +COSTIGAN could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
        Thanks Dennis. Now I get it.

In which case, if I may suggest an enhancement to Reunion that an additional symbol be used as a prefix which results in a list of those with a birth name OR married name of, in my example, COSTIGAN.

Perhaps +COSTIGAN could be used.
        Could you not Find people with Last Name is Costigan Or Married Name is Costigan?

I know you get the answer in the Results sidebar rather than the People side bar, but does this matter?

Comment

True, John. Just that inputting say +SURNAME in the People search field would be quicker and easier.

Comment

Working...
          X