Advice sought on using group photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice sought on using group photos

Hi, I am a newbie to Reunion having recently converted from TMG on pc.

I am in the process of adding photos to my Reunion database. This was something that I sadly neglected to do with my previous program, TMG.

I have no problem with individual photos or with cropping group photos to obtain an individual photo.

I am seeking advise on how best to use group photos in Reunion.

1. I have successfully added my first group photo that contains 15 various family members. i.e. children, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I have added the group photo to each Individuals Multimedia File, where appropriate, and not to there Family Multimedia File.
    Q1. Does it make any difference whether the group photo is added to the Individual Multimedia File or the Family Multimedia File and if so what will the consequences be?
    What would you recommend and why?

2. I have also added a key to my group photo containing the names of the people, copying the information from a Word document that I use to keep track of who is in each group photo. i.e. Back row L to R: John Smith (1810-1887), Mary White (1822-1891) etc. I was forced to put this information into the photos “Comments” field, as the photo “Description” field is limited to 255 characters. This is quite limiting if naming several people in a group photo.
    Q2. Is the information in the photo “Description” field and/or “Comments” field used in any reports or charts and if so what are the consequences of using one or the other? What would you recommend and why?

Because of the amount of work involved, and not wishing to have to correct it at a later date, I will not be adding any more group photos until I receive some feedback and fully understand the consequences of any actions I take.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Regards
    James
    James L. Milne
    Click here to email me

Re: Advice sought on using group photos

One possibility is to add a second version of the photo, with names. Two examples attached.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
      One possibility is to add a second version of the photo, with names. Two examples attached.
      And if you want to get even more elaborate, you can do call-outs (this was made using the Napkin app).
      Attached Files
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Thank you Michael and Dennis for your thoughts on labelling people in group photographs.

I am however, still looking for answers to the two questions I posed on my original post.
          James L. Milne
          Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by James Milne View Post
            Thank you Michael and Dennis for your thoughts on labelling people in group photographs.

I am however, still looking for answers to the two questions I posed on my original post.
            James,

I didn't directly answer Q1 because I was confused by what you meant by "file". I think you mean the different sections of the multimedia sidebar (spouse 1, spouse 2, and family multimedia). If so, the files you link in the individual sections can be easily used in charts, and the preferred file will be used automatically. The files in the family section are not automatically used in any reports or charts, but you can drag a thumbnail from the sidebar to a chart you've already made.

With regard to Q2, as far as I know neither "Comments" nor "Description" is used in any chart or report. The first 255 characters of "Comments", however, are used as captions in any slideshow you create.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Hi James -

I have pondered your first question recently and have decided for myself, a bit late in the game, of how I am now handling group photos of multiple persons:

- Family Multimedia will be for use of that couple and the children of that marriage, if including the parent(s) in the photo. Otherwise children photos go to the individual children. Remembering that there are often multiple marriages, nothing is simple.

- Individual will be used for single and group photos not in the above.

Nothing is simple as you do not control mix of the people in the photos, so sometimes I just put the photo in multiple places, as required.

For identification, I use the comments field as imported from the metadata description for each folder. The description in metadata identifies each person. If I feel necessary IK can add a crop of a complex group photo.

Regards,

Ken

Comment

But I have to say, that Napkin app sure looks impressive. I could find uses for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
                  And if you want to get even more elaborate, you can do call-outs (this was made using the Napkin app).
                  Is this the Mac app ($40) or the iOS app (Free)?
                  Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                  Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                  iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                    Is this the Mac app ($40) or the iOS app (Free)?
                    The Mac app. I've had it forever, so I don't know what it cost when I got it. And since I don't do much under iOS, I can't compare their capabilities.
                    Dennis J. Cunniff
                    Click here to email me

Comment

Both items were graphics apps by different authors but same name. That's why I asked.. Anyway, thank you.
                      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I use the free app "Preview", in the tool bar under "Tools" there is an option to "Annotate" and I use a text box above each person's face to identify them.

Comment

Just to extend this discussion a bit…
                          I'm struggling with how to identify and name people in group photos. I started to do it the old way by writing an ordered list in the description field but as I'm sure everyone has experienced the situations where there are so many people randomly located or partially obscured in the photo that a mere ordered list doesn't really do the job.

Ideally, Reunion would have a feature allowing one to tag each face in a photo and then control the display according to needs but unless I'm mistaken this feature doesn't exist in v13.

I've already been tagging faces in Photos but the interface is a little clunky, somehow introduces duplicate names into the face database, and worst, I can't find a way to export the photo with tags in place, so I have to take a screenshot, which leads to two copies in Reunion.

I've also noticed that (the wonderful) GraphicConverter 13 will also build a database of faces that can be used to tag photos. It doesn't seem that a photo exported from Photos into GC carries the tagging data and vice versa so a commitment to one or the other, or another with better features or implementation is required.

How have you dealt with this problem? Any opinions on the value of face tagging? or alternative software to the above?

Comment

Working...
                          X