Customizing memos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customizing memos

I am putting the name of cemetery into the burial memo. However, that goes in as a sentence after the burial event. So, it looks like this:

....buried on 25 Jan 2017 at Elbridge, Onondaga County, New York. Elbridge Rural Cemetery.

I wonder if there is a way to automatically modify that to blend into the previous sentence or form it's own automatic sentence with noun verb like you can for the core event.

Any advice?

Re: Customizing memos

Originally posted by Mark C Munro View Post
    I am putting the name of cemetery into the burial memo. However, that goes in as a sentence after the burial event. So, it looks like this:

....buried on 25 Jan 2017 at Elbridge, Onondaga County, New York. Elbridge Rural Cemetery.

I wonder if there is a way to automatically modify that to blend into the previous sentence or form it's own automatic sentence with noun verb like you can for the core event.

Any advice?
    No advice on blending, but I just want to mention that when I started doing genealogy about 15 years ago (before I had Reunion), I was taught that the cemetery is part of the location field, just as if it was a city or town, so this is what I do. I would enter it all in the burial location field, like this...

"Elbridge Rural Cemetery, Elbridge, Ontario County, New York"

The memo field would have the plot and lot number, if I new it
    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Any advice?
      Yes, but I believe you will need to enter the cemetery name as part of the burial event place field, i.e.,
      “Elbridge Rural Cemetery, Elbridge, Onondaga County, New York”,
      instead of entering the cemetery name in the memo field.
      Byron Spoon

Comment

Any advice?
        I put the cemetery name as part of the place name, and then if you want to you can put the plot location in the Memo.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I also use the name of the cemetery in the place name, plus I prefix with the section, plot, etc. to form a specific address, much like a street address within the city. This way I can assign a set of GPS coordinates to the grave. I then put the coordinates into the memo field, as the geo codes cannot be included in reports as far as I can tell.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't like including the name of the cemetery in the location as I am using location exclusively for city, county and state. But, even if I did, I would then have the SAME problem with the lot number, which would then be floating on it's own as a partial sentence.

He was buried in Elbridge Rural Cemetery, Elbridge, Ontario County, New York. Lot 15.

In this case, I would also want to include that as part of the same sentence, maybe in parenthesis or something. Same problem.

:-(

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't like including the name of the cemetery in the location as I am using location exclusively for city, county and state. But, even if I did, I would then have the SAME problem with the lot number, which would then be floating on it's own as a partial sentence.

He was buried in Elbridge Rural Cemetery, Elbridge, Ontario County, New York. Lot 15.

In this case, I would also want to include that as part of the same sentence, maybe in parenthesis or something. Same problem.

:-(
              I have gone so far as to enter all of the cemetery info into the Place field. For one of my mother’s cousins, his burial entry reads thusly:

Date: 12 September 1924
              Place: Lot 125, Section 43, Woodlawn Cemetery, Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York.

I see no disadvantage in entering the COMPLETE burial data into the place field. Reunion handles the information just fine. And if the Reverse Place Name Sort is used, all people who are buried in a given cemetery are neatly grouped together. As I see it, the cemetery section, plot (and even the grave number) are extensions of a normal street address, albeit, a more permanent one!

As an aside, the idea of coding the GPS data in the burial memo field had not occurred to me, but does have a certain appeal until Leister, Inc. offers an option of adding it in various reports. Kudos!! Please add to the wish list!
              Arnold
              -----
              RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
              X