Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a field to a source template

Happy New Year, everyone!

I want to add a new field to a source template and have it automatically appear in every source I have created in the past that uses that template, and I can't see how / if I can do this.

I can add the new field so that every time I use the template in the future, it will be there. And I can go back in to every source one at a time that uses the template and manually add the new field. But I'd rather find a way for it to happen automatically if possible.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Teresa
    Teresa Collis

ex-Roots, ex-UFT, ex-TMG
    Reunion for Mac 13.0 (build 221018)
    Reunion Touch for iPad 1.0.18
    (macOS Ventura 13.1)

Re: Adding a field to a source template

Happy New Year, Teresa!

Originally posted by Teresa C View Post
    I want to add a new field to a source template and have it automatically appear in every source I have created in the past that uses that template, and I can't see how / if I can do this.
    I'm afraid that's not possible - when you modify the fields for a source type it will only affect new sources of that source type. For sources that were created prior to the change you'll need to manually add the field using the "Add Field..." button in the Sources Fields tab of the Source window.

I'm sorry I don't have better news,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Happy New Year, Teresa!

I'm afraid that's not possible - when you modify the fields for a source type it will only affect new sources of that source type. For sources that were created prior to the change you'll need to manually add the field using the "Add Field..." button in the Sources Fields tab of the Source window.

I'm sorry I don't have better news,
      I can't try this right now, but recall that in the past what you can do is to open the source for editing, and change its type to something else, then change it back to the original type - this will then add the newly added field to that source - less clicks and tedium than actually adding the missing source field to each instance of the source that is in use.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Roger, you're right - I'd completely forgotten about that little "trick"!
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
        X