ahnentafel charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahnentafel charts

I'm trying to print out (or even save to my laptop) an ahnentafel chart for my mother's family but I keep getting a message saying Unable to create file. What's going on?

P. Brough

Re: ahnentafel charts

I'm assuming you're using Reunion 11, and selecting Reports > Ancestor.

If so, then perhaps Reunion is trying to find an older version of your word processor to open the report.

Try this...

Select: Reunion > Preferences > Reports > Word Processor.

Then select “Other…” from the menu button on the right. Locate and select the current copy of your word processor. Try making the report again.

If that doesn't address the issue you’re experiencing, please clarify so we know exactly what you're doing.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

For some reason it won't create a file in TextEdit. I did try to reselect TextEdit, but it didn't work.

As for what I did, I selected Reports>Ancestor>84 generations (using treetops to get the last generation back. Also tried with default 20 generations and it didn't work with that either)>Open with TextEdit. Unable to create file:"/Users/broughps/Documents/Reunion Files/Reports/Report 020, RB Ancestor.rtf" pops up.

When I try opening with Microsoft Word I get the same message only with LLB instead of RB.

I'm working with a 2010 Mac Book Pro with OS X El Capitan version10.11.6

BTW I get the same message when trying to generate a descendant chart too.
      Last edited by broughps; 01 January 2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I'd recommend checking to make sure you have proper permissions on the folders in that file path -- specifically, make sure that your user has Read & Write privileges on your Documents folder, the Reunion Files folder found in there, and the Charts an Reports folders found inside the Reunion Files folder.

You can do that by navigating to your Home folder in Finder, CTRL+Clicking/Right-Clicking on your Documents folder, selecting "Get Info", and checking the "Sharing & Permissions" section of the Info window that opens. Repeat for each folder mentioned above, making sure that your user has Read & Write privileges on all the folders.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by broughps View Post
          I'm trying to print out (or even save to my laptop) an ahnentafel chart for my mother's family but I keep getting a message saying Unable to create file. What's going on?

P. Brough
          Taken from the fine manual:

"Saving Charts
          Unlike family files, where changes to information are saved instantly and automatically, the changes you make to a chart can be saved or discarded.

To save changes to a chart, choose File > Save. When working with a new chart, Reunion will ask you to name the chart.

Saving a Copy of a Chart
          To save an exact copy of a chart, choose File > Save As. Then type a file name into the Save window. Using the Save window, you can navigate to choose a different location for the copy. The default location can be specified in the Folder Preferences.

If enabled, the Compact pictures button will resample images in the chart. More information appears here.

Saving a Chart as a Graphic File: TIFF, PNG, JPEG, or PDF
          Reunion can save or export charts in several different image formats. The format to choose will depend on your needs. (Notes about file format, resolution, and size limitations appear below.)

To save a copy of the current chart as a TIFF, PNG, JPEG, or PDF file, choose File > Save Graphic File. Then choose the desired image file format by clicking the File format menu button in the Save window, shown below.

Using the Include menu, you also have the option to...
          include the chart with no frame
          include the chart and frame
          include selected objects only.
          When saved as a graphic file, the resulting chart can be attached to an email, added to a Reunion book, placed or inserted into a word processing document, uploaded to Facebook or any other place that accepts images, opened in PhotoShop or any image-editing app, etc. It can also be added to a person or family in Reunion and displayed as a "picture."

The maximum graphic file dimensions are: 455 x 455 inches. This limit is set by Mac OS X."
          --------------
          Note however, that you must be in the chart generator portion of Reunion to perform this task.

Another alternative is to "print" the chart and save it as a PDF document there.
          Arnold
          -----
          RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I'd recommend checking to make sure you have proper permissions on the folders in that file path -- specifically, make sure that your user has Read & Write privileges on your Documents folder, the Reunion Files folder found in there, and the Charts an Reports folders found inside the Reunion Files folder.

You can do that by navigating to your Home folder in Finder, CTRL+Clicking/Right-Clicking on your Documents folder, selecting "Get Info", and checking the "Sharing & Permissions" section of the Info window that opens. Repeat for each folder mentioned above, making sure that your user has Read & Write privileges on all the folders.

HTH
            After much fiddling around I finally figured it out and can now print charts. I had to CTRL + click reports and then give permission to staff to read and write. Thanks for the help.
            Last edited by broughps; 05 January 2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
              Taken from the fine manual:

"Saving Charts
              Unlike family files, where changes to information are saved instantly and automatically, the changes you make to a chart can be saved or discarded.

To save changes to a chart, choose File > Save. When working with a new chart, Reunion will ask you to name the chart.

Saving a Copy of a Chart
              To save an exact copy of a chart, choose File > Save As. Then type a file name into the Save window. Using the Save window, you can navigate to choose a different location for the copy. The default location can be specified in the Folder Preferences.

If enabled, the Compact pictures button will resample images in the chart. More information appears here.

Saving a Chart as a Graphic File: TIFF, PNG, JPEG, or PDF
              Reunion can save or export charts in several different image formats. The format to choose will depend on your needs. (Notes about file format, resolution, and size limitations appear below.)

To save a copy of the current chart as a TIFF, PNG, JPEG, or PDF file, choose File > Save Graphic File. Then choose the desired image file format by clicking the File format menu button in the Save window, shown below.

Using the Include menu, you also have the option to...
              include the chart with no frame
              include the chart and frame
              include selected objects only.
              When saved as a graphic file, the resulting chart can be attached to an email, added to a Reunion book, placed or inserted into a word processing document, uploaded to Facebook or any other place that accepts images, opened in PhotoShop or any image-editing app, etc. It can also be added to a person or family in Reunion and displayed as a "picture."

The maximum graphic file dimensions are: 455 x 455 inches. This limit is set by Mac OS X."
              --------------
              Note however, that you must be in the chart generator portion of Reunion to perform this task.

Another alternative is to "print" the chart and save it as a PDF document there.
              It's not generating a chart at all. It won't create the file to begin with.

Comment

Working...
              X