Baptism substitute for birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baptism substitute for birth

In Preferences > Field Preferences, in the field "If not birth date exists, substitute..." there was a choice between "Baptism" and "Burial". I selected "baptism" and this was working fine, with the People List showing Name (bpXXXX-YYYY).

However, my computer (Macbook Pro OSX El Capitan) froze for some unknown reason and when I restarted it, all those dates had disappeared in the People list.

When I went back into Field Preferences, the field "If not birth date exists, substitute..." now only shows one alternative "Burial" and the choice for selecting "Baptism" has disappeared.

Suggestions? Is this a bug? Is this what froze the computer?
    Attached Files

Re: Baptism substitute for birth

Originally posted by Cate Pearce View Post
    In Preferences > Field Preferences, in the field "If not birth date exists, substitute..." there was a choice between "Baptism" and "Burial". I selected "baptism" and this was working fine, with the People List showing Name (bpXXXX-YYYY).

However, my computer (Macbook Pro OSX El Capitan) froze for some unknown reason and when I restarted it, all those dates had disappeared in the People list.

When I went back into Field Preferences, the field "If not birth date exists, substitute..." now only shows one alternative "Burial" and the choice for selecting "Baptism" has disappeared.

How very odd. I see the attached.

Superficially there is little difference in the Fields setup (I have added Census). So where have all the others gone?

iMac, El Cap (latest version).
    Attached Files

Comment

I know you said you have re-started your MBP, but have you tried closing Reunion and then opened it up again.

My set-up is basically the same as John Hill's with the options to choose (bapt. dates) amongst others.

Alan
      iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

As an afterthought, I'm puzzled as to what this option actually does. In what way would any of the fields other than baptism or christening have any meaning instead of birth? In particular, misc notes???

I looked at "help" and could find nothing on this.

Comment

The menu is automatically populated with any fields that are being used in the file. This is simply so users can choose any field they'd like.

As far as the original issue, this can probably be fixed by going to the Usage tab in the Field Preferences, then closing and re-opening the Preferences.

(Cate -- let me know if you didn't receive my reply to your email about this issue.)
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks John and Alan for your suggestions.

Thank you Mark for this solution copied from your email:

"Reunion -> Preferences… , Fields, Usage

And let the Usage list there populate. Then, close the preferences, re-open them, and check and see if the above menu still only shows “Burial” as an option."

Following these instructions, the choice for Baptism has reappeared.

Comment

Working...
            X