Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

common Notes fields sequence in Edit Person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

common Notes fields sequence in Edit Person?

In the Notes tab of the 'Edit Person' window, the sequence of note types isn't quite the same for everyone in my file.

When they are the same, it's a convenient way to compare data between people, and to reliably transfer info from a duplicate person to the "keeper" person's card. It's easy to compare the information and control what to transfer. By deleting transferred info from the duplicate, it depletes that card, making it easy to know when it's complete and which card to delete. Match and Merge is the nuclear option, usually producing 'unexpected results'.

But if the note type sequence is different for people being compared, the note type displayed changes when switching between them. The note type displayed is whichever is at the same position in the list.

Is there a straightforward way to get the note type sequence uniform for everyone in the file, without starting from scratch?
    Last edited by Paul Reitz; 22 November 2016, 09:15 AM.
    -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
    MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
    MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Re: common Notes fields sequence in Edit Person?

Originally posted by Paul Reitz View Post
    Match and Merge is the nuclear option, usually producing 'unexpected results'.
    I'm curious what you mean by this - merging two entries should give the results discussed in the manual (search "merge" in the manual and read the entry titled "What Happens When Records are Merged?").

Is there a straightforward way to get the note type sequence uniform for everyone in the file, without starting from scratch?
    I'm afraid not - at least not for existing entries. You would have to manually re-arrange the notes for each entry.

For new entries, they use the order of the fields set in:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Fields, Person, Notes, Default Person Notes

Keep in mind that any note fields added (beyond the default ones) will be ordered by when they were added.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
    X