Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extended family in 1800's in wrong generation - my mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended family in 1800's in wrong generation - my mistake!

I hardly know how to describe this, but I hope it makes some kind of sense.

In one branch of my family, the name Thompson Keys has been used in nearly every generation, sometimes from father to son, sometimes from uncle to nephew, and so on. The situation is almost the same for Charles Keys. I have made a mistake (involving approx. 20 people) and cannot see how to correct it safely.

I have a Charles Keys (with his attached wife and children, and some of his wife’s relatives) in the wrong place. His DOB is 1824. Charles and family currently sit in the Family View between Thompson Keys (1882) and his family, and Thompson Keys (1865), who is the father of 1882 Thompson Keys).

In Family View it is in this order -

Thompson Keys born 1865 plus wife

Charles Keys born 1824 plus children, wife, wife’s parents and siblings

Thompson Keys born 1882 with wife and family, right down to present day.

Charles and family need to be moved from the middle.

Both Charles and Thompson have fathers named Thompson Keys who live in Clogher, Tyrone, but not the same man. I am fairly sure they are related so I would like to keep the Charles Keys branch until I can find the correct place for them.

I have looked in the manual and see mention of ‘moving a person to the clipboard’ but as I have perhaps 20 people in the wrong place I thought I better ask for help. I am happy to do whatever is best to solve this.

Charles Keys family - Should I print out their details and delete them one by one, then re-enter them as new?
    or
    Can they be moved to the Clipboard individually, and kept safe there until I can move them into the proper place when I am ready? Would that work?
    or
    Is there a way to move the ‘branch’ as a whole, and slot it into the correct place later?

Phew! I hope you can make sense of the above. It will be such a relief to sort this!

Anne

Re: Extended family in 1800's in wrong generation - my mistake!

Originally posted by AnneM View Post
    I hardly know how to describe this, but I hope it makes some kind of sense.

In one branch of my family, the name Thompson Keys has been used in nearly every generation, sometimes from father to son, sometimes from uncle to nephew, and so on. The situation is almost the same for Charles Keys. I have made a mistake (involving approx. 20 people) and cannot see how to correct it safely.

I have a Charles Keys (with his attached wife and children, and some of his wife’s relatives) in the wrong place. His DOB is 1824. Charles and family currently sit in the Family View between Thompson Keys (1882) and his family, and Thompson Keys (1865), who is the father of 1882 Thompson Keys).

In Family View it is in this order -

Thompson Keys born 1865 plus wife

Charles Keys born 1824 plus children, wife, wife’s parents and siblings

Thompson Keys born 1882 with wife and family, right down to present day.

Charles and family need to be moved from the middle.

Both Charles and Thompson have fathers named Thompson Keys who live in Clogher, Tyrone, but not the same man. I am fairly sure they are related so I would like to keep the Charles Keys branch until I can find the correct place for them.

I have looked in the manual and see mention of ‘moving a person to the clipboard’ but as I have perhaps 20 people in the wrong place I thought I better ask for help. I am happy to do whatever is best to solve this.

Charles Keys family - Should I print out their details and delete them one by one, then re-enter them as new?
    or
    Can they be moved to the Clipboard individually, and kept safe there until I can move them into the proper place when I am ready? Would that work?
    or
    Is there a way to move the ‘branch’ as a whole, and slot it into the correct place later?

Phew! I hope you can make sense of the above. It will be such a relief to sort this!

Anne
    First off I suggest you explore the fine manual on the topic of using the clipboard. It gives precise instructions on how to move someone from the wrong set of parents! BTW, there is no need to unlink other people from the branch in question unless their links are also messed up. The chain will remain unbroken! Thus, it is a matter of moving the child from the wrong couple to the correct set of parents.

For that matter, when you “move” the child to the clipboard, you are in fact simply moving the link and when the clipboard is cleared, that link disappears, leaving that branch as an island. No data is lost!
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Re: Extended family in 1800's in wrong generation - my mistake!

I've done this too, the Clipboard will be your friend. Once you think you've fixed the issue, search for people with more than 1 set of parents, then with multiple spouses (this one can be time consuming, but necessary).

And create a back up just in case you make it worse (I did this too). I usually use the date in the file name.

After you are done with this and decide to do a merge (as a check for duplicates) do make another back up with another file name than that first back up, put in some serious restrictions and be careful.

Save those back up files in a special folder and don't toss for a month or two. Once you are happy, they can be trashed or you can keep them.

I haven't done this, but you can search for feasibility problems too.
      Christina
      Searching for Moog, Nippert, Wilson, Wolf, Mule, and a whole bunch of other names

Comment

Working...
      X