Reunion Not Saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion Not Saving

We had a power outage after about an hour's work on an open Reunion file. On rebooting after the power came back on, my Reunion file was set back to where I had opened it at the beginning of my last session, prior to the hour of editing.

I had understood Reunion automatically saved itself 'regularly', capturing any updates as they are being made, so I had expected to loose what I had input over the last ten minutes, but to have lost all my editing from that hour was a disappointment to say the least.

With no ability to Cmd/S, do we have to shut down and reopen Reunion to ensure it is saving on a more regular basis?

Thanks

Re: Reunion Not Saving

Hi,

Changes you make are either saved to the file as you make them (if using Reunion 10 or newer) or when you click "Save" in the Edit Person/Family windows (Reunion 9 or prior).

Is your family file stored on an external drive, such as a USB/thumb drive?

Is it possible you have multiple copies of your family file and that you inadvertently opened an older copy of the file?

Thanks,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for replying Mark

I am using 10.0.6 from files on my Mac (not off an external / pen drive) so I had expected Reunion to be saving for me, but more frequently than hourly.

I only have one file .. after my muck up with a laptop and pen drive a couple of weeks back I named my file 'Master File' and was working on that when the power went off.

When I rebooted, Reunion opened 'Master File' automatically, but just back to where I had opened it at the beginning of my session, rather than with all the edits I had made over the hour prior to the power outage.

I guess something with the power outage means the programme did not close normally, perhaps preventing Reunion saving its periodic saves to a deeper level .. if you know what I'm trying to say.

Unless of course Reunion only saves every hour or so, rather than every ten minutes or so, which I would have expected?

Many thanks

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Hi,

Changes you make are either saved to the file as you make them (if using Reunion 10 or newer) or when you click "Save" in the Edit Person/Family windows (Reunion 9 or prior).

Is your family file stored on an external drive, such as a USB/thumb drive?

Is it possible you have multiple copies of your family file and that you inadvertently opened an older copy of the file?

Thanks,

Comment

Saving in Reunion is not on a schedule. Data is saved immediately as you enter it. Any kind of time lapse is not a part of your situation. (This is true for most database applications.)
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by EM O'Connell View Post
          When I rebooted, Reunion opened 'Master File' automatically, but just back to where I had opened it at the beginning of my session, rather than with all the edits I had made over the hour prior to the power outage.
          Reunion saves changes as you make them. However, if you are editing the notes field for a person or family, those changes are not saved until you close the notes pane. Changes made in a notes field are not saved as you are typing them; only when you are done and close the notes editing pane.

If all of the edits that you had been making prior to the power failure were in the same notes field and the Edit Person > Notes window pane had not been closed during that hour, then that would explain the loss of your edits.
          Gregg Witmer
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Oops! Learned something more about Reunion. Thank you, Gregg.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Reunion saves changes as you make them. However, if you are editing the notes field for a person or family, those changes are not saved until you close the notes pane. Changes made in a notes field are not saved as you are typing them; only when you are done and close the notes editing pane.

If all of the edits that you had been making prior to the power failure were in the same notes field and the Edit Person > Notes window pane had not been closed during that hour, then that would explain the loss of your edits.
              YES! Thank you Gregg.

I noticed all my edits from one person had not been saved but your reply reassures me that whatever edits I did for other persons will still be intact. I often have just one Notes tab open throughout a lengthy session of research or other activity where I may be making updates. Thats so helpful to know, so now I will periodically flick from the Notes tab, back to Family View and back again to effect a Save.

Thanks so much,
              Elizabeth

Comment

Elizabeth: You may want to adopt one of my odd habits. I've been playing with computers since the late 1960's and was a support guy for years. My odd habit? No matter what venue -- whether it be Reunion notes, a Facebook posting, etc... --- where I expect to have more than a couple paragraphs --- I go off-line in a manner of speaking.

I fire up a real basic text program -- usually TextEdit --- and type out my stuff and then copy/paste it into the on-line venue. Why? In older days, I got timed out or lost connections way too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                  Elizabeth: You may want to adopt one of my odd habits. I've been playing with computers since the late 1960's and was a support guy for years. My odd habit? No matter what venue -- whether it be Reunion notes, a Facebook posting, etc... --- where I expect to have more than a couple paragraphs --- I go off-line in a manner of speaking.

I fire up a real basic text program -- usually TextEdit --- and type out my stuff and then copy/paste it into the on-line venue. Why? In older days, I got timed out or lost connections way too many times.
                  Thanks Bob, that makes good sense, especially with being somewhat remote our internet can be a little intermittent at times. Cutting edge takes a while to filter down and experience comes about for a good reason. I'm still happy to learn (but started later than you - Fortran in the late 70s - fun times!). Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X