This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicating Documents in Dropbox Attached to Sources

I am using DropBox because I have Reunion and Reunion Touch.

What I have done...
    Scan an actual Birth Certificate;
    Upload it to DropBox into my Reunion11/Multimedia/Documents/BirthCertificates folder;
    find the relevant source in Reunion;
    click the "+" in the Multimedia pane and navigate to the relevant image in DropBox and select it.

All appears as I would expect...

BUT...you knew there'd be a "but"...

Now in my Multimedia folder on DropBox that image is duplicated with the name "Source 36 Media.jpeg" - oddly though, my original, which is still in it's proper folder on DropBox, has the name "BIRTH_FC.tif" - So it would appear that not only is Reunion duplicating the image, it seems to be changing its file type.

Am I doing this wrong? Should I do it a different way? Is this behavior as you would expect it to be?
    Last edited by jamills706; 27 August 2016, 10:16 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Re: Duplicating Documents in Dropbox Attached to Sources

Originally posted by jamills706 View Post

click the "+" in the Multimedia pane and navigate to the relevant image in DropBox and select it.
    Actually - after "watching myself" on a few more...if I hit the "+" sign to add them to the source they do not duplicate...it is only if I drag the image from DropBox to the source that it duplicates it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamills706 View Post

What I have done...
      Scan an actual Birth Certificate;
      Upload it to DropBox into my Reunion11/Multimedia/Documents/BirthCertificates folder;
      find the relevant source in Reunion;

All appears as I would expect...

BUT...you knew there'd be a "but"...

Now in my Multimedia folder on DropBox that image is duplicated with the name "Source 36 Media.jpeg" - oddly though, my original, which is still in it's proper folder on DropBox, has the name "BIRTH_FC.tif" - So it would appear that not only is Reunion duplicating the image, it seems to be changing its file type.

Am I doing this wrong? Should I do it a different way? Is this behavior as you would expect it to be?
      There is no need to put your original image in DropBox for Reunion to use it. When whatever device you use to attach the image to Reunion synchronizes to DropBox it will create a (possibly lower resolution) image and put it in the DropBox area for your other Reunion devices to access. Reunion may also make a thumbnail version of your image to use in certain Reunion views. If you check the file size of the various image files you may discover that that is what happened.

Of course you may want to have your original image in DropBox for other reasons, and that is perfectly reasonable. Reunion, however, will want to squirrel away its own rendition in a place that it can guarantee all of your Reunion devices can access it.
      Howard Fink
      knowHow@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Fink View Post
        There is no need to put your original image in DropBox for Reunion to use it. When whatever device you use to attach the image to Reunion synchronizes to DropBox it will create a (possibly lower resolution) image and put it in the DropBox area for your other Reunion devices to access. Reunion may also make a thumbnail version of your image to use in certain Reunion views. If you check the file size of the various image files you may discover that that is what happened.

Of course you may want to have your original image in DropBox for other reasons, and that is perfectly reasonable. Reunion, however, will want to squirrel away its own rendition in a place that it can guarantee all of your Reunion devices can access it.
        BUT --- I always seem to have a but --- My family file and everything is in DropBox for use by ReunionTouch. So if my actual files are still on my Mac are you telling me that reunion Touch will have an image somewhere on DropBox to display. I'm kind of new to Dropbox and am not even sure what you mean talking about it syncing. Or maybe because my file all are over there it never does sync?????

Comment

JA Mills: Perhaps this will clear the picture for you (pun intended). The way that Dropbox, iCloud, etc... work is that a file is created on your local device and that is copied/mirrored to your account on the Dropbox, iCloud, etc... server.

You don't need to do anything special. If you, for example, copy a photo into Dropbox on your iPad, it automatically copies to the Dropbox server and subsequently to your Mac. By manually duplicating, you are just making extra copies.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Goy it! The light bulb came on this afternoon! I feel so much brighter now!!! LOL
            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X