This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching first name & middle name same letter

I have a huge one name family file and I use the List to search for individuals, when the first letter of the the first name is the same as the middle name I cannot easily find those people. For example, searching for Joseph J Smith, will find all the Joseph Smiths, but will not narrow it down to all the Joseph Js. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Re: Searching first name & middle name same letter

Originally posted by Gerald Wright View Post
    I have a huge one name family file and I use the List to search for individuals, when the first letter of the the first name is the same as the middle name I cannot easily find those people. For example, searching for Joseph J Smith, will find all the Joseph Smiths, but will not narrow it down to all the Joseph Js. Is there any way to accomplish this?
    Yes.

Try searching for...

smith, j j

That should narrow down your list of names
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

If, in your database, you customarily enter a middle initial followed by a period/dot for middle names, then a search for
      smith, joseph j. (with the period, instead of smith, joseph j )
      This will find only the Joseph Smiths having a middle initial J, instead of all the Joseph Smiths.

It seems an oddity in Reunion that searching without the period does not limit the results, however.
      Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post
        If, in your database, you customarily enter a middle initial followed by a period/dot for middle names, then a search for
        This will find only the Joseph Smiths having a middle initial J, instead of all the Joseph Smiths.

It seems an oddity in Reunion that searching without the period does not limit the results, however.
        I relate to this problem. However, I NEVER use punctuation in names. Not since going computerized way back when. So, do experience this. Trying smith, j j could find smith, john j and smith, joseph j would it not?
        ====
        macRBC
        Reunion user since 2009
        macOS 10.11.16 El Capitan
        Reunion v11.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
          Yes.

Try searching for...

smith, j j

That should narrow down your list of names
          That doesn't work. Reunion's search/sort only finds the first occurrence of "J" it disregards the second appearance of the same letter. It can find the occurrence J and any other letter except the same letter.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post

Thanks that would work.

My problem is I intentionally do not use a period after middle name initials, when I find the full name I would have to first delete the period and then enter the name.

Comment

That doesn't work. Reunion's search/sort only finds the first occurrence of "J" it disregards the second appearance of the same letter. It can find the occurrence J and any other letter except the same letter.
              Yes. I see that now.
              Deb Stuller
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by macRBC View Post
                I relate to this problem. However, I NEVER use punctuation in names. Not since going computerized way back when. So, do experience this. Trying smith, j j could find smith, john j and smith, joseph j would it not?
                No it does not. That's why I asked my question. Reunion finds the first J in the name so disregards the second occurrence of the same letter.

Comment

...I use the List to search for individuals, when the first letter of the the first name is the same as the middle name I cannot easily find those people. For example, searching for Joseph J Smith, will find all the Joseph Smiths, but will not narrow it down to all the Joseph Js. Is there any way to accomplish this?
                  The sidebar and the List were not designed for such specific searching (which keeps them faster). However, it's easy to accomplish what you need using the Find panel.
                  Click Find in the navbar on the left.
                  Set up a condition like this:

First & Mid Name — Is — Joseph J
                  And
                  Last Name — Is — Smith
                  Frank Leister
                  Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                    The sidebar and the List were not designed for such specific searching (which keeps them faster). However, it's easy to accomplish what you need using the Find panel.
                    Click Find in the navbar on the left.
                    Set up a condition like this:

First & Mid Name — Is — Joseph J
                    And
                    Last Name — Is — Smith
                    Thanks, this works just fine. Another tool in my toolbox.

Comment

Working...
                    X