This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up file on Reunion 11

I am worried about having so many years' worth of data only on Dropbox. I agree Dropbox is good, but don't like having years of data kept by an outside vendor over whom I have no control. Can the files be backed up on my own computer? Lacking that, can they be stored in a Gedcom format?

Re: Backing up file on Reunion 11

If your family file is in Dropbox, then it is on your own computer. The file resides simultaneously in both places: Dropbox folder on your computer, and Dropbox in the sky.

So if you back up your computer (for example, using Time Machine) then your family file is being backed up.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you so much for prompt and helpful reply. Can I also then back up the Reunion files independently, copying them to a thumb drive for extra security?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrieRoss View Post
        Thank you so much for prompt and helpful reply. Can I also then back up the Reunion files independently, copying them to a thumb drive for extra security?
        There are two easy ways to do this:

1. Option-drag the file on to the thumb drive. AFAIK this will not copy any multimedia files.

2. In Reunion, File/Export/Reunion Family File to the thumb drive, making sure you have the right options checked. There is an option for "All multimedia", but I have never tried this.

Look up "Export" in Reunion Help for this.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
          ...Option-drag the file on to the thumb drive...
          Just one correction here: there is no need to hold down the Option key when dragging a file to a different volume/drive. (In this example, the thumb drive would be a different volume/drive.)
          Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrieRoss View Post
            If you are not regularly backing up with software such as Time Machine, you ought to be. I do that plus there is the copy at Dropbox plus there is a copy on both my iMac and MacBook Pro plus maybe once or twice a month, when I think of it, I copy my FamilyFile and all of my collection of documents onto a thumb drive. There is no such thing as too many backups.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
            X