This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimedia links

I just bought a new iMac OS El Capitan 10.11.3. Reunion appeared to migrate successfully. However today I was working with one of the four databases and realized that all of the multi-media links to all of the databases have been lost! We used Time Machine to migrate information from the old computer to the new one. I still have the old computer where the links worked. Can I copy the Reunion folder with all of the links to an external drive and then copy to the new computer? Do I need to delete the existing file before moving the older file or should I rename the file from the older computer before copying to the new computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marian M Parsons

Re: Multimedia links

Assuming your multimedia files were successfully migrated to your new computer, all you need to do is open your family file on the new computer and select from the main menu Reunion>Preferences>Multimedia>Repair Multimedia Links, and then point Reunion to the proper folders.

If your multimedia files were not migrated to your new computer, copy them over and then follow the process above.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

We are having a little difficulty with repairing the multimedia links. Since I have four separate data bases should the links have been separated for each database.

When we selected Cemetery pictures (which has all of my cemetery pictures for the four databases together) we only have one of the databases open. At the moment it is trying to update but it appears to be stuck. If the links should have been separated for each database I will need to do that before I repair the link.

Marian Parsons

Comment

When we try to use the preferences Multimedia repair we get the following message -
        This family file has 9950 inks to multimedia files.
        546 links to multimedia files were repaired
        7340 links are broken. (Reunion can't find the multimedia file).

This is the message when we selected four of the multimedia files that link to my Reunion databases. I have four databases but only one was open.

The numbers vary depending on which multimedia files are selected.

Should we select all of them at once? Or should I consider combining the four databases into a single database. They are pretty large.

Any help appreciated

Marian

Comment

We may be having trouble with terminology.

Each family file should be pretty self-contained and does not have any separate links to manage. When you link a person or source in the family file to a multimedia file, it simply records the location of that file like other data, and when Reunion doesn't find the proper multimedia file at that location on your computer, this is said to be a broken link.

Each of your four family files should be able to take care of its own links, and there's no way to combine links without combining the family files.

So, by opening one family file at a time, you should try to repair links by showing Reunion where you have stored the multimedia files for that family file. If the files aren't where you tell Reunion to look, then it won't be able to restore the links.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
          X