This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People Sidebar sorting

I am a longtime Reunion user and have just encountered a new problem. I have a large file, over 53,000 people, and I cannot get the People on the Sidebar to sort in alphabetical order. In all my many other Reunion files this list always comes up in alphabetical order. What's up with this?

Re: People Sidebar not Sorted

Hi Barbara,

If you click on the little "black downward facing arrow" right at the top of the people sidebar you should get a little pop-up showing various items, similar to the sidebar at bottom letft of your main Reunion screen. Selecting the top one "People" sorts all my listed people in alphabetical order, although in my case I have a few (many) un-named females that show up first.

If you go to the manual and enter "Sorting in the List Window" (without the quotes) also gives another choice if you select list, where you can change the order.

Alan
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Thanks Alan. Unfortunately, I've tried both of those things and it doesn't work.

Comment

Does there seem to be any kind of order to the results that you are seeing? Knowing that might give us a clue to help.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Ball View Post
          ...I cannot get the People on the Sidebar to sort in alphabetical order.
          Try choosing File -> Rebuild Cache Files from Reunion's main menubar.
          Gregg Witmer
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
            Does there seem to be any kind of order to the results that you are seeing? Knowing that might give us a clue to help.

I’m also experiencing an issue with this and have a specific order I can describe that may illustrate problem.

At least in my case. Not sure if same applies to person who originally posted question.

Everything is fine alphabetical until it gets to a dual part name.

It’s fine up until last name “Hoffman” then it changes to “Van Holt” then goes back to surname that starts with “I” and continues to be correct for the rest of the list.

It’s alphabetizing from the “H” in the two part last name and not from first letter of first part “V” of the last name.

Is there any way to get the list to recognize “Van Holt” (with the space) is name that actually starts with a “V”?

I suppose I could remove space between the two part last name but the name does in fact have space between the two parts.

If there is no solution, perhaps this is something that could be addressed in a future update.

Comment

Take a look in the Reunion Preferences ------> General Preferences at the "Prefix Words" section.

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RAQ View Post
                Is there any way to get the list to recognize “Van Holt” (with the space) is name that actually starts with a “V”?
                The index can act either way, either ignoring prefix words or acknowledging them. Search the manual for the phrase "prefix words" to see how to toggle this in general preferences. (Actually, it's Preferences -> General -> under "Prefix words" click on "Sort on the entire last name", then "Apply Changes")
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Mac system fonts have a non-breaking space. It is entered by typing [option-space]. I tried it on Van Pelt in my Reunion file and the name sorted under V. With a normal [space], it sorted under P. The non-breaking space is handy in text documents if you want to assure that two words like Miss Muffet hang together and don't wrap onto different lines.
                  Lawrence 🍷

Comment

Working...
                  X