This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with font size in Notes editor

I never used to have a problem with text in my NOTEs field changing font size until recently. Now, when I do a command-R to add a source citation to the end of a sentence, the next sentence's text is tiny (like the footnote number on the end of the preceding sentence). I also get tiny text when I paste text into an empty Notes field. I can see no way in the Notes editor to change the font size. What's going on?

Re: Problems with font size in Notes editor

I'm having the same problem since upgrading to Reunion 11. Sometimes when I drag a source citation to the end of a paragraph, the next thing I type is also in tiny type, but sometimes it is not. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern but I did not have this problem in earlier versions and I'd like to know how to stop it now.

Comment

Originally posted by M Dalton View Post
      I'm having the same problem since upgrading to Reunion 11. Sometimes when I drag a source citation to the end of a paragraph, the next thing I type is also in tiny type, but sometimes it is not. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern but I did not have this problem in earlier versions and I'd like to know how to stop it now.
      Me too. I thought it was just me but it must be a bug. Once I close the note all is fine but meanwhile my old eyes are straining to see what was typed or added.
      2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Are any of you able to reliable reproduce this issue? If so, could you outline the steps you take as accurately as possible?

I'm trying to duplicate this here but so far have not had any luck.

Thanks,
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Yes - I can reproduce it, if I'm reading correctly.

All I did was to go my page, hit on Notes and then command-r and I get a little box with a number. Which i think is the last source number

Alan
          iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

It has seemed to me to be erratic but I have "successfully" gotten it to misbehave repeatedly just now following these steps:

1. Choose a person’s record

2. Choose Note Tab

3. Type a note

4. Drag a source from the Source list

5. Hit return (the citation number is still highlighted)

6. The Person record closes (which is not what I intended to do)

7. Go back into that record and choose Note Tab

8. The cursor is at the end of the source number

9. Hit return

10. Type another note. It is in tiny print

11. Hit Done

12. Go back into the same record and the font is now the right size.

It seems to me that if, in step 5, I click next to the note number so that it is no longer highlighted and then hit return, the font size stays the right size but I am not totally sure if this is consistently happening. And obviously in that case the Person record does not close either.

I hope this is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by M Dalton View Post
              It has seemed to me to be erratic but I have "successfully" gotten it to misbehave repeatedly just now following these steps:

1. Choose a person’s record

2. Choose Note Tab

3. Type a note

4. Drag a source from the Source list

5. Hit return (the citation number is still highlighted)

6. The Person record closes (which is not what I intended to do)
              How do you get this to happen? This is the way it used to work for me, but doesn't any longer (maybe since version 11?). Now when I type a note and put a source number at the end of it, if I hit Return while the number is still highlighted the source number is deleted and the cursor moves to the next line.

(I haven't seen any problem with font sizes.)

I would like to be able to add a note, attach the source number, hit Return while the source is highlighted and have it close the Person record and take me back to family view.

Maybe I have a setting messed up somewhere?
              John Bastin
              jbastin1@me.com
              Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
              Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by jbastin View Post
                I would like to be able to add a note, attach the source number, hit Return while the source is highlighted and have it close the Person record and take me back to family view.
                Pressing Enter/Return will always place a new line in a note field. To close the Edit Person screen while in a note field, press Command+Enter/Return.

HTH
                Mark Harrison
                Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Pressing Enter/Return will always place a new line in a note field. To close the Edit Person screen while in a note field, press Command+Enter/Return.
                  Just a clarification here...
                  if you have a keyboard with separate Return and Enter keys, then the Enter key will not make a new line in a note field. It will close the Edit Person screen.

Originally posted by jbastin
                  ...when I type a note and put a source number at the end of it, if I hit Return while the number is still highlighted the source number is deleted and the cursor moves to the next line.
                  This is normal behavior that you can duplicate in, for example, TextEdit. So, to preserve any highlighted text (or citation number) in a note field, you want to use the Enter key, not the Return key. Or, if you have a keyboard without separate Enter and Return keys, then Mark's suggestion is the key (no pun intended): press Command+Enter/Return.
                  Frank Leister
                  Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

HTH
                    Originally posted by Frank View Post
                    if you have a keyboard with separate Return and Enter keys, then the Enter key will not make a new line in a note field. It will close the Edit Person screen.

This is normal behavior that you can duplicate in, for example, TextEdit. So, to preserve any highlighted text (or citation number) in a note field, you want to use the Enter key, not the Return key. Or, if you have a keyboard without separate Enter and Return keys, then Mark's suggestion is the key (no pun intended): press Command+Enter/Return.
                    Thanks, Mark and Frank, for the tips. I do have an external keyboard that I use sometimes which has separate Return and Enter keys, the built-in keyboard on my MacBook Pro puts them both together in the same button.

I'll remember the Command-Enter/Return step when I'm using the internal keyboard, and to use the Enter key when I'm not.

Thanks again!
                    John Bastin
                    jbastin1@me.com
                    Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
                    Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

Thank you! I will try my darnedest to remember that. Learned something new. Judy
                      2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

I am having a similar problem, I have just upgraded to Reunion 11 on El Capitan. I put my source citations at the front of my notes and sometimes I copy notes from one person to another, then re-edit the data to suit the second person.

When I paste the notes into the second person, the pasted text and the rest of the text in that box jumps to a tiny unreadable size, but if I come out of that note file and go back into it, the text is back to the correct size.

My mac has a one enter/return and I don't use an external keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                        X