This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sort names

I am working on several generations of ancestors in one particular line. However, over the years, the name is spelled at least 5 different ways. When I'm searching for a person, I often can't recall the exact spelling, which makes them difficult to find, and so I'm wondering if Reunion has a function to list people under a sort name, which will bring up all the different spellings. Thanks. Regards, Ginny

Re: sort names

Originally posted by ginnyb View Post
    I am working on several generations of ancestors in one particular line. However, over the years, the name is spelled at least 5 different ways. When I'm searching for a person, I often can't recall the exact spelling, which makes them difficult to find, and so I'm wondering if Reunion has a function to list people under a sort name, which will bring up all the different spellings. Thanks. Regards, Ginny
    It doesn't.

You can improvise a sort name, though, if you like. I'll use my favorite example: Jocelyn, Joslin, Josselin, Josling, Joselyne, etc. Pick the sort name you want to use (in this case, Joslin), and enter it in each person's "Alias/AKA" field. You can then sort by that name (but it doesn't show up in the index).
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Hi Dennis, Thanks for your note. Question: if you use the AKA names and sort them, and they aren't included in the people list, how do you list or view the sorted names?

Comment

Originally posted by ginnyb View Post
        Hi Dennis, Thanks for your note. Question: if you use the AKA names and sort them, and they aren't included in the people list, how do you list or view the sorted names?
        You can set AKA/alias as one of the columns in the List Window (accessed from the orange List button under the sidebar).
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          You can set AKA/alias as one of the columns in the List Window (accessed from the orange List button under the sidebar).
          Thanks, Dennis for your instructions for using an Alias to sort these names. I may be able to use it successfully. However, perhaps I should lobby Reunion for an added function of using a "sort name" in a future upgrade.
          Regards, Ginny

Comment

Working...
          X