This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

merging two family lines

This should be simple but I'm just not seeing it. Working on 2 family lines, individually but in same family file; found common ancestor. Unable to connect the two lines. If I add father to the common ancestor from sidebar, that works fine for prior generations but the common ancestor's spouse and descendants disappear. Tried match/merge; it found the two occurences of the common ancestor but won't merge them. Tried adding common ancestor as spouse from sidebar; added the spouse but their ancestors disappeared.

Re: merging two family lines

You have two lines (call them a and b) that lead to a common ancestor. First get them separate: i.e. make sure that (a) shows all your info on the common ancestor and earlier, but does not show his line (b) child or descendants in (b). Then in (b), delete the common ancestor and anything earlier (move to clipboard). Now the earliest person in (b) should be a child of the remaining common ancestor (a). Drag that person from the people sidebar to the children area of the common ancestor. You should now find everybody properly related. Finally, if you are happy with the outcome, wipe the clipboard.
    Last edited by Michael Talibard; 22 August 2015, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X