X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User ID

Hi

I have recently upgraded from Reunion 8 to Reunion 11 and obviously found a great difference in the programme and am still finding my way around. I added three people to my tree but couldn't give them a user ID because with Reunion 8 I just used the next number which was displayed on the new person file but now it doesn't appear, only a box to put in an ID number. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what was the last number I used. I hope you understand my problem and can help me.

Jennie

Re: User ID

Originally posted by Jennie View Post
    I added three people to my tree but couldn't give them a user ID because with Reunion 8 I just used the next number which was displayed on the new person file but now it doesn't appear, only a box to put in an ID number. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what was the last number I used.
    Jennie,
    I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but still, you should be aware that Person ID and User ID are two different fields. User ID"s are assigned by you, (if you want to), while Reunion automatically assigns the Person ID's.

You can leave the User ID field blank. I think probably most people do. It's just there for those who want to assign their own ID numbers.

If you're saying you assigned User IDs before, but want to find out what the highest one was, you can "Get Info..." on the file, and it will show the number of people entered. You could also make a list of people by User ID and sort it to find out the highest.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Hi

Unfortunately, I cannot remember what was the last number I used. I hope you understand my problem and can help me.

Jennie
      Try this:
      1. Find "User ID is not (leave search field empty)". This should give you a list of everyone who has a User ID
      2. Open the List Window (icon at the foot of the list sidebar).
      3. Change one of the header fields to User ID (in the Numbers group). You will see all the User IDs.
      4. Click in the User ID header to sort by this number.
      You will now see the last number you used at the bottom (or possibly the top)!

It works here...

Comment

Hi Dennis

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I always knew Person ID and User ID were two different things but because I didn't want to complicate things I always used the Person ID (couldn't remember the name when I first posted this) as the User ID because I wanted every person to have a number that would stay with them whatever I did. With Reunion 8 the next Person ID was always visible when adding a new person to my tree but with Reunion 11 it isn't there now so my problem is finding what is the next number to use so I don't duplicate any numbers. I hope this now makes sense.

Hi John

Thanks for trying to help but I really don't understand your first sentence. I have found the List and following your instructions I now have a list of names with their User IDs but having clicked on the heading I don't see how to sort by ascending or descending numbers.

Jennie

Comment

Hi Dennis

Thanks for trying to help but I really don't understand your first sentence. I have found the List and following your instructions I now have a list of names with their User IDs but having clicked on the heading I don't see how to sort by ascending or descending numbers.

Jennie
          If you have a List and you click on the heading of a particular column - in this case User ID - the list should sort at once by that column. Indeed, if you hover your mouse over the heading you should see a wee pop-up that says "Click to sort by this field". There is also a wee up or down chevron which changes the sort order from low-high or vice versa.

This is a very useful feature of Reunion's lists.

Comment

Thanks John, I have now got it. After having used Reunion 8 for approx. nine years and knew it upside down and inside out I was surprised at how different Reunion 11 is, particularly the colours! I am still looking for some things but eventually find most, and I am getting better with this version and finding some good things. I am sure I will get to know it well but it's always good to know there are people out there willing to help me with good advice. I was really impressed with how easy the changeover was to make.

Jennie

Comment

Thanks John, I have now got it. After having used Reunion 8 for approx. nine years and knew it upside down and inside out I was surprised at how different Reunion 11 is, particularly the colours! I am still looking for some things but eventually find most, and I am getting better with this version and finding some good things. I am sure I will get to know it well but it's always good to know there are people out there willing to help me with good advice. I was really impressed with how easy the changeover was to make.

Jennie
              Glad it is now sorted!

The change from 10 to 11 was striking enough; to move up from 8 to 11 must have been quite a step!

Comment

Working...
              X