This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evernote

I see there are some people who are using Evernote for their genealogy. I previously asked a question about it but did not receive any answers so maybe they can help now.
    I would like to know if it is possible to link or add Evernote items to multimedia in Reunion? The 'share' & 'link' options only seen to be between other users.
    Thanks
    Margaret

Re: Evernote

That's a good question, Margaret... One that I hadn't considered yet. I use Evernote extensively for my genealogy but I haven't gone beyond storing documents there as kind of a repository. I am trying to gather all my paper documents and digital documents all in one place BEFORE I go to the next step. I hope someone else answers your question though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

I also use Evernote, but I'm not sure what it is you want to do. I also use Evernote to keep track of my genealogy documents. I consider it a 'backup' to the documents I have on my computer. The documents on my computer are the ones I link to in the multimedia. Hope someone else can help you with what you are trying to do
      Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

I have information I have saved from web searches which I would like to attach to a person in Reunion and have it show up in their multimedia file like other documents do.

I find I can copy the article in Evernote and paste it into a word processor and save that in Reunion but thought that there must be a simpler method. I looked at exporting from Evernote but that changes the format. 'Sharing', as I said, only seems to offer the opportunity of sharing it with another user not another program.

Maybe someone has a better method of saving web articles to Reunion without using Evernote?
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret Parkes View Post
          I have information I have saved from web searches which I would like to attach to a person in Reunion and have it show up in their multimedia file like other documents do.

I find I can copy the article in Evernote and paste it into a word processor and save that in Reunion but thought that there must be a simpler method. I looked at exporting from Evernote but that changes the format. 'Sharing', as I said, only seems to offer the opportunity of sharing it with another user not another program.

Maybe someone has a better method of saving web articles to Reunion without using Evernote?
          Margaret
          OK...I think I see what you want to do. What I do in this case is, if it is all text, copy from the note and then paste into a note in reunion. But more likely, I will just do a 'Print Note' and then 'Save As PDF' and then attach that file in reunion just like I would any other pdf file. I'm not sure this is the solution you are hoping for, but it works for me.
          Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

That's what I would do too.

Comment

I see there are some people who are using Evernote for their genealogy. I previously asked a question about it but did not receive any answers so maybe they can help now.
              I would like to know if it is possible to link or add Evernote items to multimedia in Reunion? The 'share' & 'link' options only seen to be between other users.
              Thanks
              Margaret
              Here's a quick suggestion, Margaret. A number of us have made DEVONthink Pro our tool for managing, storing, and accessing the results of our genealogy research. The fellow who first alerted me to Dt posts here under the screen name "Allsop." Take a look at his post of 18 July 2012 in this thread: http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=7844 and you can get a glimpse of how he uses Dt. Yes, it is very easy to link to Reunion -- these are two OS X apps that exemplify the best in software.

I was about to open an account at Evernote but they had just experienced a security breach of some sort -- quickly fixed, I believe. That made me look for alternatives. Dt. is not cloud-dependent. Many users choose it because it keeps one's data locally under one's direct control.

My due diligence included hours reading Dt's forums. An astoundingly diverse group of users, world-wide, rely upon Dt to house and manage the work products and reference databases upon which their livelihoods depend. Plenty of headroom for us Reunion users.

Terry

Comment

Margaret-I replied to your question as did Kim. And Terry also posted a reply just tonight. Both Kim and I don't use Evernote to link multimedia to Reunion. I am not sure that it's possible. Terry's reply is about another program, DevonThink.

I hope that you are able to read our replies. And if you have any other questions please post again. Judy

Thanks
                Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Smith View Post
                  Here's a quick suggestion, Margaret. A number of us have made DEVONthink Pro our tool for managing, storing, and accessing the results of our genealogy research. The fellow who first alerted me to Dt posts here under the screen name "Allsop." Take a look at his post of 18 July 2012 in this thread: http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=7844 and you can get a glimpse of how he uses Dt. Yes, it is very easy to link to Reunion -- these are two OS X apps that exemplify the best in software.

Terry
                  Hi Terry

I'm interested in how you use DTP with Reunion. I have DTP Office and tried using it a few years back but felt like I was duplicating my efforts. I was using it more to house my genealogy files than for research, itself. I've always used FMP to keep track of my research efforts, positive and negative, but I don't want to upgrade that anymore so I'm looking at other options. Could you elaborate a little on how you are using it, please?

Thank you!

Kathy
                  Kathy
                  Reunion 13
                  MacBook Air, Mac OS 13.5.2

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy C View Post
                    Hi Terry

I'm interested in how you use DTP with Reunion. I have DTP Office and tried using it a few years back but felt like I was duplicating my efforts. I was using it more to house my genealogy files than for research, itself. I've always used FMP to keep track of my research efforts, positive and negative, but I don't want to upgrade that anymore so I'm looking at other options. Could you elaborate a little on how you are using it, please?

Thank you!

Kathy
                    I don't want to hijack this Evernote thread, Kathy. As a DtPO user, you know how quickly one can get in the weeds discussing how they use it! Should I respond to your request using the “contact us” feature on your website?

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Smith View Post
                      I don't want to hijack this Evernote thread, Kathy. As a DtPO user, you know how quickly one can get in the weeds discussing how they use it! Should I respond to your request using the “contact us” feature on your website?

Terry
                      Terry...... That would be great. Thanks!
                      Kathy
                      Reunion 13
                      MacBook Air, Mac OS 13.5.2

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded to my query. DTP looks interesting as a data management program but does not seem to have the ability for web clips which is my main use for Evernote. I do have a method of sorting/ storing my accumulated notes, so I think I will have to agree with those who suggest creating a PDF which I can then file with the rest of my information - just copying to Reunion as required.
                        Thanks again
                        Margaret

Comment

90% of my DTP databases are web clips. It's very easy to add them using a shortcut, even without launching the application.

On the DT website you find some tutorials, one about Clipping data to databases. Unfortunately it isn't shown an the moment on my computer, maybe a broken link. I informed DT about it, so you may try out later on, if you still are interested in it.

Edit:
                          DT fixed the link, Tutorials work again:
                          DEVONtechnologies develops DEVONthink, DEVONagent, and other Mac and iOS apps for document and information management and web research.

You finde the one about clipping data at the end of the list. I have to add, that the process is much more easier to do than to read. Plus they don't mention the keystroke for adding clips without launching the app, one thing I find really convenient.

(I have no relations to DT, except using their software.)
                          Last edited by Ursula; 21 June 2015, 01:56 AM. Reason: New Info
                          Mac OS 10.5.8, OS X 10.11.5, Reunion 10.0.6
                          Reunion for iPhone and iPad

Comment

Working...
                          X