This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from 10 to 11

I thought I was following directions but something is amiss. When I open Reunion 11.app in my Applications folder and find my Reunion 9/10 Files in my Documents Folder, it contains my named file, my spouses named file, my Reunion Pictures, and my Charts. Do I open each of those separately in 11? If I try to click on the whole Folder with everything, there is not an option to Open--it is greyed out.
    Thanks for your help

Re: Upgrading from 10 to 11

You'll need to open each family file separately, and you'll be prompted to provide a new name for the converted file. The original file will not be changed.

Reunion 11 can open Reunion 9 and 10 chart files, and if you edit and resave them, they'll be saved as Reunion 11 chart files.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Do the Reunion Pictures File and the Charts File also have to be converted or can they be dragged into a larger Reunion 11 File Folder? I have been using Reunion for many years but this conversion has been the most challenging. Perhaps because now the files are so extensive and any loss would be devastating. Thanks for your encouraging support.

Comment

The upgrade path to Reunion 11 is pretty much the same as the upgrade path to Reunion 10.

The family files need to be converted because they're something you'll continue to edit. As stated earlier, the Reunion 10 files will not be damaged in the conversion process.

The picture files definitely don't need to be converted.

The chart files can be converted if you want, but Reunion 11 can open Reunion 10 chart files as if they were its own, and if you make changes and save, a new Reunion 11 chart file will be created, leaving the Reunion 10 file intact. So the question would be do you want to convert them all at once, or do you want to convert them as you work on them? Converting them just for the sake of converting them really only makes sense in the context of a hypothetical future Reunion that might be able to open Reunion 11 charts but not Reunion 10 charts (which would be highly unlikely since the chart files are so similar).

I myself would not create a new Reunion 11 folder for data, but if I felt concerned about files getting mixed up (which I don't), I'd probably make a Reunion 10 Old Data folder and drag my Reunion 10 family files and chart files there after they've been duplicated as Reunion 11 files. That way I could keep my existing working data folders as they are and just keep working as I always have.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
        X